Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ventile

Ventile

I usually just wear a buffalo spesh six and carry a pro hunter jacket in my pack for serious rain.

This weekend, while stalking, I realised I carry just too much kit and being unfit, I was somewhat feckin' knackered!

So....today I have been going through my stuff and found a single layer ventile smock that I was given years ago as a sample. It has never been worn and has no makers name but is about a third of the weight of the pro hunter! Obviously, if it was chucking down at the start of the stalk, I would just wear the Harkila, but this ventile would be ideal for lots of walking in showery conditions.

Has anybody got any opinions on single layer ventile smocks, good or bad?

Thanks in advance.

I would test it out in the rain before you go out with it as Ventile is not known to be the most waterproof of fabrics.

For some reason its attained cult status within the Bushcraft community so assume it has something going for it other than simply fulfilling a craving for all things retro:

K

Seems that Ray Mears likes it so it must be half decent. Will wear it for dog walking next time its pi55ing down!

If my middle aged memory is correct, ventile cotton fibres swell when it rains, so a bit of dampness is to be expected, but its a brilliant breathable material.
    You live and learn........
    .........or you don't live long

[QUOTE=Hunting Solutions;717122]I usually just wear a buffalo spesh six and carry a pro hunter jacket in my pack for serious rain.

This weekend, while stalking, I realised I carry just too much kit and being unfit, I was somewhat feckin' knackered!

Ha Ha, miss all those lazy days lolling around in the gym, need to get your a**e out a bit more and shape up. lol
    Wingy

[QUOTE=Wingy;717189]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunting Solutions View Post
    I usually just wear a buffalo spesh six and carry a pro hunter jacket in my pack for serious rain.

Ha Ha, miss all those lazy days lolling around in the gym, need to get your a**e out a bit more and shape up. lol
    Wingy
    Cheers Martin, your are right, I'm too much of a lazy fecker!

Quote Originally Posted by Herbi1969 View Post
    If my middle aged memory is correct, ventile cotton fibres swell when it rains, so a bit of dampness is to be expected, but its a brilliant breathable material.
    Cheers Herbi, just wore it now walking the dog. Not a drop of rain in sight so may wear it every day!

I have a snowsled classic smock that it got in 1997 and it's been worn lots. Single layer in a russet brown sort of colour. Classic Smock | Polar Expedition Rescue Equipment, Pulks, Sleds, Tents, Clothing. It needs new cuffs and a new bottom, and these have been replaced before. In the wet it's ok and doesn't let rain through but is a little clammy - the fabric gets damp and swells, that's how it stops the water going through. Simple solution is to wear a fleece directly underneath and then it's fine. I wear it all the time hill walking, stalking and skiing and have been through pretty rough conditions with it. The one time it's not brilliant is in wet snow at about the freezing point, it tends to go a bit hard. I also have a Keela Munro jacket - standard kit for the Mountain Rescue teams - it's bomb proof but far too warm for any sort of hard activity.

I probably need need to replace it as it is on its last legs, and may well get another one. I am also looking at the Fjallraven no8 Fjallraven Anorak No. 8 -really like the design, but not convinced by the G1000 fabric - it needs waxing to make water proof, and doesn't have the basic water tightness of Ventile.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    I have a snowsled classic smock that it got in 1997 and it's been worn lots. Single layer in a russet brown sort of colour. Classic Smock | Polar Expedition Rescue Equipment, Pulks, Sleds, Tents, Clothing. It needs new cuffs and a new bottom, and these have been replaced before. In the wet it's ok and doesn't let rain through but is a little clammy - the fabric gets damp and swells, that's how it stops the water going through. Simple solution is to wear a fleece directly underneath and then it's fine. I wear it all the time hill walking, stalking and skiing and have been through pretty rough conditions with it. The one time it's not brilliant is in wet snow at about the freezing point, it tends to go a bit hard. I also have a Keela Munro jacket - standard kit for the Mountain Rescue teams - it's bomb proof but far too warm for any sort of hard activity.

I probably need need to replace it as it is on its last legs, and may well get another one. I am also looking at the Fjallraven no8 Fjallraven Anorak No. 8 -really like the design, but not convinced by the G1000 fabric - it needs waxing to make water proof, and doesn't have the basic water tightness of Ventile.
    Thanks Heym, very good info there. I think I will give it a go at the weekend as its forecast rain for Eskdalemuir (nothing new there... )