Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dogs hearing protection

Dogs hearing protection

For those like me who much prefer stalking without a moderator on the end of the barrel what do you do to protect your dogs hearing? Also interested in what is done on drives in Europe where multiple shots are fired.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dachel.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	36885

I've only been on a couple of hunts where dogs were used but never saw anything on thier heads.......

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    For those like me who much prefer stalking without a moderator on the end of the barrel what do you do to protect your dogs hearing? Also interested in what is done on drives in Europe where multiple shots are fired.
    Myself i do nothing to protect my dogs hearing. I've never seen any one do anything about protecting their dogs hearing on driven days. Never even heard anyone talk about the need to protect a dogs hearing either.

Account Suspended
    Of all the kit I've seen on dogs: Kevlar vests, fluoro vests, radio/gps tracking beacons, shock collars, neck protectors and even boots... never seen or heard of hearing protection.

it's called using a moderator

It's called never let anyone shoot over your dog!

Somebody told me recently that firing 8 shots from an unmoderated .308 does the same damage as firing 10000 12 bore cartridges.

I would just not shoot over the dog.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

You could put some balled up cotton wool in the dogs lugs but be absolutely certain you can get it out when you need to.

I have tried this last time out with a black lab who is a cracking retriever and from good stock but it frightened of the noise of the shotgun, given I wear ear defenders and have suffered hearing loss from being careless in the past I thought it might be an idea for the dog to get some protection. I looked into it but didn't find anything commercially available but did find this suggested somewhere on the web so gave it a go, he did seem calmer so it must have had some effect on the frequency of the noise if not reducing it.

Good luck.

get some mutt muffs

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    get some mutt muffs
    Love it.

Perhaps I ought to say. My stalking companion (now retired) was rarely sat in front of my feet (my avatar) when the shot was fired. Often in the stalk in to a deer he would be 'stayed' whilst I got into position. Other times when suddenly spotting a shootable deer he would shuffle in front of my feet anticipating the shot.