Dogs hearing protection

Tackleberry270

For those like me who much prefer stalking without a moderator on the end of the barrel what do you do to protect your dogs hearing? Also interested in what is done on drives in Europe where multiple shots are fired.

dachel.jpg

I've only been on a couple of hunts where dogs were used but never saw anything on thier heads.......

For those like me who much prefer stalking without a moderator on the end of the barrel what do you do to protect your dogs hearing? Also interested in what is done on drives in Europe where multiple shots are fired.

Myself i do nothing to protect my dogs hearing. I've never seen any one do anything about protecting their dogs hearing on driven days. Never even heard anyone talk about the need to protect a dogs hearing either.

Of all the kit I've seen on dogs: Kevlar vests, fluoro vests, radio/gps tracking beacons, shock collars, neck protectors and even boots... never seen or heard of hearing protection.

Somebody told me recently that firing 8 shots from an unmoderated .308 does the same damage as firing 10000 12 bore cartridges.

I would just not shoot over the dog.

You could put some balled up cotton wool in the dogs lugs but be absolutely certain you can get it out when you need to.

I have tried this last time out with a black lab who is a cracking retriever and from good stock but it frightened of the noise of the shotgun, given I wear ear defenders and have suffered hearing loss from being careless in the past I thought it might be an idea for the dog to get some protection. I looked into it but didn't find anything commercially available but did find this suggested somewhere on the web so gave it a go, he did seem calmer so it must have had some effect on the frequency of the noise if not reducing it.

Good luck.

get some mutt muffs

Love it.

Perhaps I ought to say. My stalking companion (now retired) was rarely sat in front of my feet (my avatar) when the shot was fired. Often in the stalk in to a deer he would be 'stayed' whilst I got into position. Other times when suddenly spotting a shootable deer he would shuffle in front of my feet anticipating the shot.

Pretty sure my lurcher type has cotton wool in his ears, mainly when chasing rabbits....he takes it out when i'm in the kitchen though

So you let your dog suffer because you prefer to shoot without a moderator:stir::lol:

So you let your dog suffer because you prefer to shoot without a moderator:stir::lol:

I think you will find it is unusual to find a gun dog wearing hearing protection which is why I have posed the question. A dog in a pigeon hide/ a dog sat on a peg on a driven day/ a deer dog which may or may not be close to an unmoderated rifle fired perhaps once every 3 outings? All comparable if you ask me. Thanks for your constructive input though.

On driven shoots the dog should always be behind the shot and never shot over.
When stalking I drop the dog, move then shoot .
This season whilst picking up I've had a few conversations with guns who place the dog in front of them and shoot over the dog,once the idea is planted in thier heads most then heed my advice and move the dog.
Best protection is use a moderator and not shoot over the dog

On driven shoots the dog should always be behind the shot and never shot over.
When stalking I drop the dog, move then shoot .
This season whilst picking up I've had a few conversations with guns who place the dog in front of them and shoot over the dog,once the idea is planted in thier heads most then heed my advice and move the dog.
Best protection is use a moderator and not shoot over the dog

Even if a dog was several meters behind you when taking a shot with a rifle it is going to be many times louder than shooting over them with a shotgun. When there was a stalk into a deer my dog would also be stopped as I stalked ahead. Other times he would be just behind me. My dog is old and deaf now but if you say 'walkies' from the next room he'll be through in a flash.

It/you will still go deaf even if you use a mod, they only slow the process down. Best to keep the dog behind you and the rifle

Al

What about the pressure wave. A moderator may reduce noise but the pressure wave is still there. I do mean to wear ear protection when stalking but invariably I forget!

What about the pressure wave. A moderator may reduce noise but the pressure wave is still there. I do mean to wear ear protection when stalking but invariably I forget!

I do use a mod on all my rifles and I wear moulded ear plugs. Got a hearing test in Dec, I now am having to use my plugs and electronic ear defenders at the same time to preserve what hearing I have left. Maybe the dogs ear flaps give some protection

Al

Back