Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: knife sharpening

knife sharpening

just trying to gauge if anyone on this site would use a knife sharpening service. i do this as part of my job as i am a butcher and also for stalker friends and they said that they have never had sharper knives.ie completed a red carcass from start to finish without a touch up on a steel or blade tech.

i wouldnt not because i dont think you or anyone else could do as good a job as me because you could more than likly do it better but because i find that if i let someone else sharpen my knife i find that it takes me ages to get "my" edge back on it, i take its from where we all hold a knife differntly when sharpening

Quote Originally Posted by buckeroo View Post
    just trying to gauge if anyone on this site would use a knife sharpening service. i do this as part of my job as i am a butcher and also for stalker friends and they said that they have never had sharper knives.ie completed a red carcass from start to finish without a touch up on a steel or blade tech.
    Yes I would

I probably would have before I bought a Lansky Sharpener, now I can get anything razor sharp in 5 minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by buckeroo View Post
    completed a red carcass from start to finish without a touch up on a steel or blade tech.
    must show either one of two things
    (1) your friends have never used a knife that has been sharp before.
    (2) or after 34 years butchering i cannot keep an edge on my knife long enough to do a red without using my steel.
    but i do not think i will have to give up my day job.any body who can use a knife will use a steel to keep an edge or their knife while they do a whole red.
    Last edited by midge; 17-01-2014 at 06:40.

Says something about the quality of the knife if it needs sharpening after doing one red

+1 acm, quality knife and blade tec aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    I attended a course on sharpening - over two days we covered everything from hairdresser's scissors to axes, chisel and turning tools to lawn edgers, and including chef's knives along the way. Bear in mind here that a good pair of hairdressing scissors can make custom knives look cheap. Not just that, but they are used all day, every day. The only comparable use of a blade I can think of would be by a butcher, which is a somewhat scary thought!

Before anyone asks, I did the course because, as well as being enjoyable and interesting, it's rare to see sharpening services being offered these days so when I reach retirement it may give me an opportunity to make some pin money. It's also nice to be able to sharpen up tools and stuff belonging to people in the village.

Interestingly the only knives that we were told never to offer to sharpen were those belonging to knife collectors and shooting/fishing folk, because however sharp you make it they will always say that they could have sharpened it better

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!