Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greater Manchester Police

Greater Manchester Police

I am not a Police knocker as its not a job I could do, but at some point when an unarmed man is shot by them I would expect a prosecution.

if you accidentally shot someone's dog thinking it was a fox you would be prosecuted....

one rule for one and all that
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

guys its hard to comment without the facts - the issue (as with the gangster Duggan) is whether the officer thought the person armed and what happened to make the officer feel threatened .....

my son is firearms authorised and gives me some understanding of their training and rules of engagement etc ...

also with terrorism rife ... you can be unarmed but wearing a semtex jacket that is not obvious.

please don't be quick to judge - the police are not always at fault.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by HunterMoore View Post
    guys its hard to comment without the facts - the issue (as with the gangster Duggan) is whether the officer thought the person armed and what happened to make the officer feel threatened .....
    We'll never know the facts, but there's more to it than mistaken identity.... some mention of a memory stick with names of Police informants?
    but don't worry, I doubt this thread will get the chance to gather any momentum.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

To be honest, I'm surprised that police forces throughout the country get enough officers wanting to be firearms officers.

Shooting someone, never mind killing them is something I hope no police officer wants to do. And if it happens, you just know there's going to be a circus descending on you. Your clothes will be seized, you'll be suspended from work, no contact with colleagues (who may be witnesses), skin swabbed, etc. etc. Then it's a waiting game, being interviewed, with your life in turmoil month after month. And that's just for the most straightforward incident where it's clear the officer had no choice.

Of course it's right that any use of such force by the police should be scrutinised. Many forces only have enough firearms officers by making it a requirement of another job. For example, if you want to apply for a job on the traffic department, fine, but you have to successfully pass a suitability course and become a firearms officer. Then there's the regular re-testing. Fail that and you job is on the line.

Then of course, there's always the risk that you make a wrong decision and a full investigation ensues. The media frenzy, all the people with axes to grind getting on the bandwagon, your livlihood and indeed your freedom at risk, your family also.... Not something I'd want, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    To be honest, I'm surprised that police forces throughout the country get enough officers wanting to be firearms officers.

Shooting someone, never mind killing them is something I hope no police officer wants to do. And if it happens, you just know there's going to be a circus descending on you. Your clothes will be seized, you'll be suspended from work, no contact with colleagues (who may be witnesses), skin swabbed, etc. etc. Then it's a waiting game, being interviewed, with your life in turmoil month after month. And that's just for the most straightforward incident where it's clear the officer had no choice.

Of course it's right that any use of such force by the police should be scrutinised. Many forces only have enough firearms officers by making it a requirement of another job. For example, if you want to apply for a job on the traffic department, fine, but you have to successfully pass a suitability course and become a firearms officer. Then there's the regular re-testing. Fail that and you job is on the line.

Then of course, there's always the risk that you make a wrong decision and a full investigation ensues. The media frenzy, all the people with axes to grind getting on the bandwagon, your livlihood and indeed your freedom at risk, your family also.... Not something I'd want, for sure.
    And the truth is that armed police officers are trained to stop....ie...kill....

I heard a statistic the other day that over the last year, firearms were fired only 5 times by the police. Not much really. Not saying that they should be unaccountable, merely that we live in a relatively safe society compared to many

Quote Originally Posted by howa243 View Post
    I am not a Police knocker as its not a job I could do, but at some point when an unarmed man is shot by them I would expect a prosecution.
    I would say the complete opposite - if acting on duty with a person failing to co-operate criminals should expect to be shot, and the officer should be 100% immune from presecution. These 'gangsters' don't fear the police, maybe if they knew if they didn't co-operate with the police they would get shot it might improve their attitude.

Law abiding citizens need not worry.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

If you weren't there keep it shut until you know the ENTIRE facts. If you were there, gob off as much as you like if you witnessed the events; otherwise you are regurgitating what someone else has told you or perceived.
    .243 Weatherby Vanguard Synth /.223 BRNO CZ527 Synthetic
    .22LR CZ 455 Synth / 12G Stoeger 2000 / 12G U/O Bettinsoli
    12G Zoli SBS / .410 unknown Italian

Providing they are not meandering home half pissed through a rally or taking a chair leg home.......

dont go there..