Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this correct from BASC?

Is this correct from BASC?

Hi, just got an enquiry from a level 2 candidate and he tells me this.

"Mary Fishburn at BASC has told me that a successful DSC2 candidate typically has between 14 and 20 stalks in their DSC2 portfolio, including the three witnessed stalks. "

Now, to me this is rubbish! As long as the candidate can meet the correct criteria and standards in theory it could be done with the 3 ICR's.

why are BASC giving out this information?

I was told (by an AW) that they like you to have culled at least that number of deer (to try and ensure you have a level of practical experience) before attempting dsc2. Maybe this has been misunderstood by the candidate?

Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post

"Mary Fishburn at BASC has told me that a successful DSC2 candidate typically has between 14 and 20 stalks in their DSC2 portfolio, including the three witnessed stalks. "

Now, to me this is rubbish! As long as the candidate can meet the correct criteria and standards in theory it could be done with the 3 ICR's.

She may well be correct...

All she has done is collated the info from the previous history people have been invited to mention on the form.

I think you have taken the comment the wrong way..
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post

Sure, in theory you could go out one morning, cull three deer, and complete all three ICR's and be done and dusted. But in theory it could take you 14-20 stalks to sign off all the PC's across three ICR's.

Mary has answered the candidate's query and said what the typical candidate has in their portfolio, I presume by reviewing the portfolios they receive. You may not like the answer she gave, but to say it is "rubbish" is perhaps a little rich, given that without access to the history of all the level 2 candidate portfolios you can't prove otherwise.

And to be quite honest, what difference would it make if Mary had said 3, 6, 12 or 30 stalks? All the portfolio asks for is the three ICR's.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Its for BASC to respond definitively.

From my reading reading of the OP I believe some latitude in interpreting ' in the portfolio'. Three ICRs are all that DMQ require. The other animals are covered in the relevant CV and questionnaire pages - which simply fill out the candidates background - they are not the assessed material.

I think PH1 and Palmer Mike have likely nailed it.

Likely all DSC Centres, but I know BASC are concerned at the number of candidates registering for DSC2 straight after DSC1 and subsequently struggling to complete the portfolio within 3 years. Criticism is then raised that the system is milking them for another registration fee etc. There are many reasons for the portfolio lapsing, but a fairly common one is that the candidates aren't experienced - or more strictly capable ( in a non-perjorative sense here ) - enough to complete all the PCs. There seems to be a growing pressure from people looking to complete the process ASAP - whether that's driven by impatient society, FAC application issues, shooting lease requirements and the like I do not really know - but it's noticeable.

Everyone is different and its a veritable moving feast as to what situation each person finds themselves.

Its on that basis that I believe ( not know, just believe ) Mary is trying to assist prospective candidates with guidelines.

From experience I have had a scholarly chap who had never shot a deer before doing his DSC2 - but he had a very capable academic mind. He read widely ( with a capital W ! ) and soaked up lots of DVDs, Youtube etc and was the type to be able to analyse all this data and derive a methodology for himself. Hos performance against DSC2 criteria was spotless to the extent I picked up a few new tricks! On the flip side I have had long time stalkers with 100's of animals under their belt grind to a halt trying to figure out how to deal with the 'food pipe'.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Thanks for the replies. My point was it could be done with 3 outings only as long as he was up to standard. Thinking about it this candidate only has paid stalking so could be in for an expensive time to gain 14-20 stalks.

Perhaps a package like the BDS are offering could be much cheaper for him?

Maybe Mary has been misinterpreted but if she had said it could be up to 20 stalks depending on your experience and standard it might have made it clearer to the candidate as it was made out that 14-20 would be needed.

Am I reading into this too much?

the your candidate is incorect i think you will find , what BASC mean is that the candidate has ideally already completed 15-20 stalks before applying for the level 2 .

and as an AW i stick to this rule of thumb , before i did my level2 i had shot 50-75 deer to make sure i was ready for it !

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by leec6.5 View Post
    the your candidate is incorect i think you will find , what BASC mean is that the candidate has ideally already completed 15-20 stalks before applying for the level 2 .

and as an AW i stick to this rule of thumb , before i did my level2 i had shot 50-75 deer to make sure i was ready for it !
    Makes sense Lee.

Mary will advise potential DSC 2 candidates that they need to have the practical experience before registering. This will save them money and frustration in the long term.

Peter
    Dr Peter Marshall
    BASC Sporting Services