Which two calibers would you choose?

Renico

I have a 270win, but just bought a 223Rem because roe hunting is my favourite and why not get a caliber which is perfect for that. In my opinion 223Rem is that.

Now I have 270win and 223Rem. 223Rem for roe and fox and 270win for larger animals.

Now after I got my 223Rem I cant decide if I should change my 270W to something better, when I now have two rifles. Instead of having small and medium I am think about having small (223) and large (9,3x62, 300win mag)

What do you think and what would you do?

What I plan using my 270w for is Roe, Wildboar, Stags, Fallow, Moose in Sweden and so on.

And as I said 223R only for Roe and fox.

When the rifle cracked, the buck turned over clear over in the air, and hit like a bag of potatoes.
"Whoopee!" said Zefarino. "That's the kind of rifle I like, one that has power. One shot and the buck doesn't move. How do you call it?"
"The .270," I said.
"The same one you shoot the ram with, no?"
"The same."
"With the .30 you shot a buck and it ran. Then the smaller boy shoots a buck with the .25 and it ran. Now the large boy shoots a buck with this rifle and it is dead in its tracks. How good a rifle, this .270!"
"It shoots a good ball," I said, "--a very fast ball."
"Like the lightning!" said Zefarino.

Why do anthing other than purchase a nicer 270??

K

Yea I have to admit that 270w is a nice allround caliber.

Maybe I will change my mind when I have tried my 270 on a wild boar and it went right down ;)

9.3x62 would probably do what you want.

I've got one and I really like it. (Sometimes for roe the .300WM can have too much velocity for roe if encountered close up. A well constructed 9.3 will not be going so fast so less chance of excessive bruising).

ATB,

Scrummy

.308 win and .375 h&h

Shoot most of my deer and fox with the 308, but the 375 stamps authority on anything it touches. The .223 is great but it's not the big sexy...

Renico, do you have to use copper/brass bullets in Denmark?
Friend of mine uses 270wsm with copper bullets in Germany and is very happy. Some say they should be driven faster to expand properly??
Otherwise a 30-06 maybe. Might be a bit better for the heavy stuff than a 270 and not quite as hefty as a 9.3

edi

Last edited:
You know what they about fixing something that isn't broken,270 has proven track record, it will drop most things

for you a 270 would be my thoughts
for me I have 22hornet, 243 and 30-06
if you go on the hills of Scotland and not just Sweden go 308

Only problem with .270 is some places require a 7mm or greater for boar (.270 = ~6.8mm). If you never intend on hunting somewhere with that situation, no problem. But if you like the performance of the .270W, why not the 7x64?

Nothing wrong with .270W performance, just there are legal hurdles in some areas.

ATB,

Scrummy

Last edited:
If I could keep only 2 of the guns in my cabinet it would be my brno .22 lr and the wife's d/b .410 shotgun. These two get more use than all the rest put together.

I have a 270win, but just bought a 223Rem because roe hunting is my favourite and why not get a caliber which is perfect for that. In my opinion 223Rem is that.

Now I have 270win and 223Rem. 223Rem for roe and fox and 270win for larger animals.

Now after I got my 223Rem I cant decide if I should change my 270W to something better, when I now have two rifles. Instead of having small and medium I am think about having small (223) and large (9,3x62, 300win mag)

What do you think and what would you do?

What I plan using my 270w for is Roe, Wildboar, Stags, Fallow, Moose in Sweden and so on.

And as I said 223R only for Roe and fox.

If I lived in Denmark?

I would have a bolt action deer rifle in a 6.5 or 7mm and some sort of express rifle for boar in an 8 or 9.3mm chambering.

7x57 mauser and 9.3x74r spring to mind.... if I were in Denmark.

Back