Level 1 DSC 'Course' content

triscz

I often see DSC1 courses advertised and wonder how a competent shooter with very little or no deer knowledge would get on, is it a 'course' with 2 way tuition and coaching/learning or is it an assesment and you are expected to know the answers on arrival? Is there room to learn the content when attending and still pass?I would like to attend one in the future and due to limited exposure to the art of stalking and field craft feel a little nervous parting with my ££ to turn up looking a little daft. I would like to get out locally in the South west to learn anything I can if there are any opportunities out there. Im a member of BASC and have my FAC. Be interesting to see the comments regarding the DSC1 course thankyou for your time. Tris

yes there are a few places doing full courses where you will learn everything you need to achieve the pass alot of people coming into the sport have very little or no experience, I can recomend donnington deer services and the dinners are legendary, good luck with whoever you choose, wayne

Tris

Judging by the honesty of your post, you will be absolutely fine.

On my DSC1 course there were attendees from both ends of the spectrum, complete novices to seasoned pros. Those who went into it with a willingness to learn and enjoy the experience got the most out of it. Those who see it as "something that has to be done" or a chance to talk big about their experience with deer, rifles, etc inevitably come out poorest.

You're not expected to know all the answers before attending, nor to be a stalking ninja. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Many people on here will attest that DSC1 was their first step in a never-ending journey to learn more about deer and deer stalking.

willie_gunn

Tris

Judging by the honesty of your post, you will be absolutely fine.

On my DSC1 course there were attendees from both ends of the spectrum, complete novices to seasoned pros. Those who went into it with a willingness to learn and enjoy the experience got the most out of it. Those who see it as "something that has to be done" or a chance to talk big about their experience with deer, rifles, etc inevitably come out poorest.

You're not expected to know all the answers before attending, nor to be a stalking ninja. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Many people on here will attest that DSC1 was their first step in a never-ending journey to learn more about deer and deer stalking.

willie_gunn

But if you approach the written test on the basis (I'm assuming it's still a multiple choice affair) that 1. the aim of the course is to get you to pass the test, not to fail it unless you're a graduate from the University of Clever-dick Know-it-alls and 2. when you look at the answers there's going to be one which is completely wrong which gets you down to a choice between two. Usually the correct answer becomes obvious.
On the shooting and safety elements the focus is on complete safety without subjectivity.
On stuff like season dates in Scotland you're just going to have to learn the right answers I'm afraid.

But if you approach the written test on the basis (I'm assuming it's still a multiple choice affair) that 1. the aim of the course is to get you to pass the test, not to fail it unless you're a graduate from the University of Clever-dick Know-it-alls and 2. when you look at the answers there's going to be one which is completely wrong which gets you down to a choice between two. Usually the correct answer becomes obvious.
On the shooting and safety elements the focus is on complete safety without subjectivity.
On stuff like season dates in Scotland you're just going to have to learn the right answers I'm afraid.

Yes, you will have to learn some things, but hopefully you will want to do that anyway. I guess my point was not to be intimidated by thinking that you have to be a Nelly-Know-All before you go;)

And on the deer species recognition part, pay attention to the clues they will give you as you go through the course.

willie_gunn

When you book a place on a course you get sent a manual with everything you need to know to pass the test. You can read it and test yourself as much as you like beforehand. Doing a paid stalk beforehand might help put things in context and make it more interesting.

Hi Tris,
I did my DSC1 at the duchy, it was a great course and as long as you listen and have half a brain you'll sail through it. The DSC1 is designed for people starting out so you don't have to have shoot a hundred deer to pass it, having said that you don't need a DSC1 to shoot a hundred deer. I got a lot from the course and had a great time. :)

I went from knowing Zero about deer or rifles to learning the foundation of the rest of the things you need to learn.
The test makes you learn about deer ecology, identification, fire arm safety and meat hygiene.
Definatly a two way thing and like most things in life you get out what you in.

Many thanks for the comments above it has been helpful. I really enjoyed the Deer butchery course I attended there last week and if they offer another DSC1 in the future I would be well up for it. I would like to get a book to read in the meantime that will help wotwards my DSC1 if possible, my difficulty is im in the forces so deploy regulary so booking onto a course isnt as easy as it sounds alot of the time. Based on this I'd like to buy a book asap to keep the enthusiasm up and begin to build my knowledge in preparation for a DSC1 when time allows. Any pointers on suitable books pitched at the right level much appreciated.Tris

ask on here if anyone has the level 1 book to start going through or buy it you can also still do an online learning i believe to go through everything for level 1 but if you want i can let you borrow the deer stalking hand book by graham downing it goes through all aspects of stalking it is a nice read and i am sure there are other books as well,atb wayne

Yes, you will have to learn some things, but hopefully you will want to do that anyway. I guess my point was not to be intimidated by thinking that you have to be a Nelly-Know-All before you go;)

And on the deer species recognition part, pay attention to the clues they will give you as you go through the course.

willie_gunn

Ah yes the "This often crops up" or "This one sometimes catches people out" those kinds of clues...

I would like to get a book to read in the meantime that will help wotwards my DSC1 if possible, my difficulty is im in the forces so deploy regulary so booking onto a course isnt as easy as it sounds alot of the time. Based on this I'd like to buy a book asap to keep the enthusiasm up and begin to build my knowledge in preparation for a DSC1 when time allows. Any pointers on suitable books pitched at the right level much appreciated.Tris

I would suggest you subscribe to the Best Practice Guides, available for both Scotland (Welcome | bestpracticeguides) and England & Wales (Best practice guides | The Deer Initiative).

With either of these you won't go far wrong.

willie_gunn

Hi. Did you find out which book to get? I wondered if there are any ID flash cards with appropriate dates for shooting, horn shedding etc etc. like you complete novice.

Thankyou for the offer mereside but I will happily purchase a copy to keep always nice to have a decent reference if it is a good book. Dont want to start a long thread about the best books but if there is a specific book/guide that covers a majority of the content of the DSC courses then its a no brainer for me. Great to see the feedback rolling in knowledge and help on the forum has been warming being a newbie thanks everyone

Willie_gunn thanks for the links looking at the site now looks very good, ideal when Im in work for things like this as I can print it all off

Have just finished printing all of the England & Wales pages. Printer is quite warm! Only used up 7% of the toner so not too bad. Some good content there to get me started thanks for the heads up. At least with a majority of that lot under my belt I should have less to take in on the DSC when I get round to it.

no worries if you want to buy a copy, as wg says the best practice guides are well worth the money and a referance you will use always, atb wayne

Back