Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what does the BDS do for me

what does the BDS do for me

There have been a few discussions in the past about what individuals expect to get from membership of the BDS. Mark Nicholson (Chairman) answered this question very succinctly in the latest edition of the Deer Journal....

quote - I have oft heard it asked "why should I be a member of the BDS?" Or "What's in it for me". As a charity the correct answer is nothing - we are about deer not people.

He then went on about the need to have a message that people understand as to why they should be a member.

I have been a member of the society for a good number of years now and was a branch secretary for 8 years. I concur with his view and would also like to stress that Branches should be looked on as self interest groups and should be about how individual members can help each other towards a common goal of the greater good for deer. It should not be about getting something back for the money spent on membership.....that money is to allow the Society go about it's business of doing more for deer now and in the future.

Mulac

I agree, but in the case of the Wessex branch its my opinion Dorothy does a great job organising visits and events.

Due to my job i am not regularly able to attend but the ones i have with the family have been well organised and interesting.

Anybody moaning about their Branch might do well and try contributing something themselves.
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Quote Originally Posted by Mulac View Post
    There have been a few discussions in the past about what individuals expect to get from membership of the BDS. Mark Nicholson (Chairman) answered this question very succinctly in the latest edition of the Deer Journal....

quote - I have oft heard it asked "why should I be a member of the BDS?" Or "What's in it for me". As a charity the correct answer is nothing - we are about deer not people.

He then went on about the need to have a message that people understand as to why they should be a member.

I have been a member of the society for a good number of years now and was a branch secretary for 8 years. I concur with his view and would also like to stress that Branches should be looked on as self interest groups and should be about how individual members can help each other towards a common goal of the greater good for deer. It should not be about getting something back for the money spent on membership.....that money is to allow the Society go about it's business of doing more for deer now and in the future.

Mulac
    With the BDS you get nothing for nothing simple, at branch level it is what each individual branch members will do for each other.

At national level they only,want the money ,every thing else is an extra .

Charity I've yet to see a list of things in the deer world in the UK, as it is ,the British deer society where the charitable aspect is and has been used to further the deer in what ever way, every other charity publishes a list of where there cash is used .

Ive written to the BDS and the editor of the magazine, I'm not interested in deer in Patagonia,the north American Elk or Samba in India ,pie charts and graphs on stuff that is not appertaining to deer in the UK, where we have 6 species of deer thousands of stalkers, two areas of formidable training in the subject ,yet the magazine is full of crap. And adverts .

What have the BDS ever done for US????
    Reminds me of a clip which might put their efforts over the years into a similar perspective?

So, although they may not have built too many aqueducts, the BDS has been, and continues to be extremely influential in how deer management is carried out in the UK. They were a major influence in the formation of the Deer Act which affects us all, as well as Game handling and hygiene regs.
    They have also been very influential over the years in lobbying and raising general acceptance and public awareness of the need for deer management. Much of this has to be backed up by statistical evidence which they obtain by funding research projects such as the regular Deer Distribution surveys.
    As a training centre and provider, they offer a full range of competitive and highly regarded training courses which have undoubtedly benefitted a huge amount of us. Some courses such as the ‘Deer Managers Course’ or ‘Humane Dispatch Course’ either have been, or remain unique to the BDS.
    Let’s not forget the website either which is a free source of useful information.
    Local branches can offer friendship and advice as well as Range/Training days.
    Their insurance is an excellent policy as it allows you to sell carcasses to a Game Dealer (up to 5000 worth) whereas some other leading insurance providers policies would be invalidated if you were to earn any money!
    So…… what else have the BDS ever done for us???

MS
    Last edited by Monkey Spanker; 19-01-2014 at 11:09.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    Charity I've yet to see a list of things in the deer world in the UK, as it is ,the British deer society where the charitable aspect is and has been used to further the deer in what ever way, every other charity publishes a list of where there cash is used .
    Have a read of this: http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk...121231_E_C.pdf

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

SD Regular
    They were a major influence in the formation of the Deer Act
    Ah. The legislation that prohibited, banned, the use of the 6.5x54MS and the 6.5x53R two calibres that were the classic and standard highland stalking calibres for nearly half a century.

The same body that in 1988 told Parliament that self-loading and pump action rifles were not necessary for stalking and so denied to those such as my late friend and wounded WWII veteran Clifford Owen his final years of stalking as his wound meant he could not work a bolt action.

It is time that stalker realised that the BDS is not their "friend"...

I read Willie Gunn's link. Salaries paid are listed as just shy of 250,000 per annum to the equivalent of EIGHT full time posts.

So let me see 250,000 divided by 8 = 30,000
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 19-01-2014 at 12:13.

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    With the BDS you get nothing for nothing simple, at branch level it is what each individual branch members will do for each other.

At national level they only,want the money ,every thing else is an extra .

Ive written to the BDS and the editor of the magazine, I'm not interested in deer in Patagonia,the north American Elk or Samba in India ,pie charts and graphs on stuff that is not appertaining to deer in the UK, where we have 6 species of deer thousands of stalkers, two areas of formidable training in the subject ,yet the magazine is full of crap. And adverts .
    Bah! Humbug!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    I read Willie Gunn's link. Salaries paid are listed as just shy of 250,000 per annum to the equivalent of EIGHT full time posts.

So let me see 250,000 divided by 8 = 30,000
    Meaning what, exactly? Someone posted exactly the same pathetic mathematical exercise on the last thread about joining the BDS in East Anglia. I don't quite know what you expect charity employees to be paid, but here's the response I posted last time:

Gross salaries for BDS in 2012 were 224,078 - that's an average of just over 28,000 based on 8 FTE's.

Based on the advice for graduates seeking careers in the charity sector BDS doesn't seem to be particularly out of line: http://www.prospects.ac.uk/charity_officer_salary.htm

By comparison, the GWCT had 103 employees in 2012 and a gross wage bill of 3,452,087 giving an average of 33,515

The RSPB had 2,151 employees in 2013 with an average gross wage of 44,061 (http://www.rspb.org.uk/Images/truste...cm9-354073.pdf)

Guide Dogs for the Blind had 1,118 FTE's in 2012 and a gross wage bill of 30.4m, giving an average of 27,191 (https://d3qkb2hv043xyy.cloudfront.ne...d_Accounts.pdf)

Or is your suggestion that charity employees (or is it just those involved with deer) should be working for free?

I have no connection with BDS other than being a member, and I am sure as an organisation it's not perfect, but making snide remarks about the salaries of their employees is pretty low. It comes from the same school as those who think that by going stalking we're doing farmers a favour (surely farmers should be paying stalkers??) and that every professional stalker is ripping off their clients by having the gall to charge to take them out.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Perhaps the question should be two-fold;

What do "I" do for the management, conservation of deer and what do "I" do to promote education, improvement of skills and training for stalkers in the UK.

People who knock the BDS should look within themselves casting a random stone and watching where the ripples touch...

Personally, i'm tired of these and similar knocking threads,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Yes Dominic I've looked through the annual statement of accounts and chairmanship report since 1971 but it has only ever listed totals .
    Not who receives or what the cash is actually used for in the aspect of a charitable status .