Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: skin/butcher roe 3hrs

skin/butcher roe 3hrs

I love my me time in the garage, radio on, can of beer opened, deer hanging and a sharp knife in hand.

Yes it takes me 3 hours to skin, butcher, bag and label for freezer and then clean up.

And its time well spent, with steaks ( some for tea that night in a baguette with onions, mushrooms and melted blue stilton ) hmmmm!

More steaks, haunches, mince, stewing steak, off cuts and bones for the dogs and then the rib cage for the foxes. Happy days

how long does it take you? Good job I don't shoot that many 10 - 15 / year

craggy

to be honest 3 hours isn't bad, its hard for amateurs like us who only do a hand full every year to get close to the pros in the butcher shops who do it day in day out. A friend of mine who was a butcher by profession had a red skinned and butchered ready for packing in 30 mins. usually it will take me around 1 1/2 hours but that's because iv been doing a few more than usual lately.

Enjoy the venison!

Mo.

If you take pride in the way you do things you will take longer ... nothing wrong with that.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Don't waste those ribs! BBQ roe spare ribs are a cracking starter.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Good grief i would not pick my knifes up if i had a beer had to grow new knuckle skin to many times and that’s without beer.

Not to long never actually timed my self the cleaning up usually takes longer especially if the mincer been used

Takes me a while and I do it in stages as and when suits, I'm in no rush to be honest and I like to leave the carcass hanging in the chiller for about a week with the skin off before I start to break it down, I think like you said its nice to be out in the garage enjoying the fruits of your labour

should only take 5 mins to skin a roe as for butchering it should be about 30 mins tops

this time of year the hair is loose and iam forever picking them of the meat. The mrs likes eating venison but the quickest way to put her off is if she finds hairs or bones, god help me if she broke a tooth on a fragment.

Yeah ,I hang mine for a week ish in the drinks chiller, takes all the pressure of

craggy

Quote Originally Posted by bigscott270 View Post
    should only take 5 mins to skin a roe as for butchering it should be about 30 mins tops
    Why SHOULD it only take 5 mins to skin and 30 mins TOPS. Surely it can take as long as it takes, unless you are butchering for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by bigscott270 View Post
    Good for you, maybe your missing something?