Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Gun Confiscation, what actually happens

  1. #1

    Gun Confiscation, what actually happens

    Ok , so first real post so be gentle with me.

    What actually happens with a gun confiscation ? Close mate has a few health probs. His SGC is up for renewal later in the year . If he fails to make the grade , what happens to his guns ? Are the taken away with no recourse and destroyed. Do they go to a RFD to be held?

    Answers on a postcard please, usual sarky comments welcome. Have to admit a vested interest as he has a nice 20 bore , which has been promised to me when he does pop his clogs...

    Thanks

    Sam

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam64 View Post
    Ok , so first real post so be gentle with me.

    What actually happens with a gun confiscation ? Close mate has a few health probs. His SGC is up for renewal later in the year . If he fails to make the grade , what happens to his guns ? Are the taken away with no recourse and destroyed. Do they go to a RFD to be held?

    Answers on a postcard please, usual sarky comments welcome. Have to admit a vested interest as he has a nice 20 bore , which has been promised to me when he does pop his clogs...

    Thanks

    Sam
    Sam,

    Short answer is they end up with an RFD (one way or another) and can then be sold/transferred.

    Stan

  3. #3
    SD Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Midlands M1/M69 Junction 21
    Posts
    5,404
    The guns are always his PROPERTY it is just that he cannot, if his SGC is no longer valid, legally have them in his keeping. Guns cannot be confiscated and/or destroyed except by order of a Court and then usually only if they have been used as instruments in a crime. From murder to wounding to poaching.

    So whilst the police may legitimately remove them if he no longer has a valid SGC they MUST then either allow an RFD or SGC holder to collect them or issue a temporary certificate to the owner to allow him to dispose of them to an RFD (or another SGC holder).

    It may be easier to pre-empt and place the guns with an RFD BEFORE the SGC actually runs out of its validity. Thus fill in the renewal form with what is possessed and as soon as that is done and sent off then lodge the weapons with and RFD and do an advice of that "movement".

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    The guns are always his PROPERTY it is just that he cannot, if his SGC is no longer valid, legally have them in his keeping. Guns cannot be confiscated and/or destroyed except by order of a Court and then usually only if they have been used as instruments in a crime. From murder to wounding to poaching.

    So whilst the police may legitimately remove them if he no longer has a valid SGC they MUST then either allow an RFD or SGC holder to collect them or issue a temporary certificate to the owner to allow him to dispose of them to an RFD (or another SGC holder).

    It may be easier to pre-empt and place the guns with an RFD BEFORE the SGC actually runs out of its validity. Thus fill in the renewal form with what is possessed and as soon as that is done and sent off then lodge the weapons with and RFD and do an advice of that "movement".
    Correct and I would add that, as its shotguns rather than firearms involved, he can simply 'give' them to a friend (with an sgc) rather than involve an Rfd.

  5. #5
    I don't know what his health problems are, but if it's a case of him getting a bit old and can't go out so much, so long as he's still safe, there's not really a problem. Of course if he can't get out at all then there's not much point in hanging on to them really.

    You should suggest to him that he could manage his guns, so that when the time comes to be getting rid of them, he does it on his own terms instead of rushing because it's renewal time. Perhaps get rid of the big heavy 12 bore and keep the nice 20 bore for a while or so.

    Given some time, he could look to sell them for a decent price instead of trying to unload them at the nearest gun shop as his certificate expires the next day, because as you might guess, the RFD will offer somewhat less. Try looking on the Guntrader site (other sites are available, but that seems the most popular).

    So long as the buyer has a shotgun certificate, it's easy, just fill in the bit on his certificate and tell your issuing authority. Job done.

  6. #6
    The experience of a close friend is that old bill comes along, scoops up your stuff, doesn't handle it with the same respect that you'd give it, drives it to some store room somewhere, piles it all up in a corner. When you get it back, it is likely to be bashed, scratched, damaged, bolts missing from rifles, scopes dinged, quantities and types of ammunition differ from what they were and it all feels a bit unsatisfactory.
    Given the chance I'd put my firearms with an RFD myself, shotguns with a friend and place my ammunition with friends who have authority for the type and quantity.

  7. #7
    As above, if it's only shotguns were talking about it, he could gift you the guns prior to renewal, then all being well you gift them back when his sgc is renewed?

  8. #8
    Or even just before the renewal simply loan them to a friend who has a shotgun certificate. Obviously notifying the police if the loan is going to be longer than 72 hours (you have 7 days in which to notify). Then simply return them when the renewal is completed and notify of the transfer once again.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

  9. #9
    Just another observation

    enfieldspares says 'The guns are always his PROPERTY it is just that he cannot, if his SGC is no longer valid, legally have them in his keeping.'

    Fine and reasonable, and I'm not arguing, this is just another comment.

    All this business about not being able to pay for a firearm until there is a licence granted (slot on your certificate) even if the firearm is not transferred from the RFDs licence as this constitutes ownership without a licence.

    I can understand RFDs saying this although it seems unethical to me, they have a vested interest in selling their own goods (you transfer your firearm to a dealer and I transfer it to me when I get a slot opened), but reading issues in this forum, this excuse seems to be being used by licensing officials as a caning rod, a severe no no, don't do it again!

    I see no difference in having ownership before transferring a firearm and keeping ownership after transferring a firearm, and I admit you shouldn't have a problem should you do this.

    I agree with enfieldspares and JC275, simply pre-emp the problem and transfer to a friend or RFD befor the licence expires.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    As above, if it's only shotguns were talking about it, he could gift you the guns prior to renewal, then all being well you gift them back when his sgc is renewed?
    I concur with this sound advice too!!

Similar Threads

  1. *SOLD* Brattonsound SL5+ 4/5 Gun with 203mm Internal Locking Top Gun Cabinet
    By widu13 in forum Other Shooting Equipment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2014, 20:14
  2. M-Pro 7 gun cleaner and gun oil CLX
    By Olaf in forum Cleaning, Gunsmithing and Equipment Care
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13-07-2013, 06:54
  3. For Sale Air Gun DIN Gun Charging System
    By easypeasy in forum Other Shooting Equipment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-06-2013, 09:56
  4. *SOLD* Gun guard hard plastic gun case
    By bk in forum Other Shooting Equipment
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 29-04-2013, 20:22
  5. Gun Problem - Exploded round, inside .17 HMR gun ???
    By woodfordfallow in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 28-05-2012, 08:32

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •