Gun Confiscation, what actually happens

Sam64

Ok , so first real post so be gentle with me.

What actually happens with a gun confiscation ? Close mate has a few health probs. His SGC is up for renewal later in the year . If he fails to make the grade , what happens to his guns ? Are the taken away with no recourse and destroyed. Do they go to a RFD to be held?

Answers on a postcard please, usual sarky comments welcome. Have to admit a vested interest as he has a nice 20 bore , which has been promised to me when he does pop his clogs...

Thanks

Sam

Ok , so first real post so be gentle with me.

What actually happens with a gun confiscation ? Close mate has a few health probs. His SGC is up for renewal later in the year . If he fails to make the grade , what happens to his guns ? Are the taken away with no recourse and destroyed. Do they go to a RFD to be held?

Answers on a postcard please, usual sarky comments welcome. Have to admit a vested interest as he has a nice 20 bore , which has been promised to me when he does pop his clogs...

Thanks

Sam

Sam,

Short answer is they end up with an RFD (one way or another) and can then be sold/transferred.

Stan

The guns are always his PROPERTY it is just that he cannot, if his SGC is no longer valid, legally have them in his keeping. Guns cannot be confiscated and/or destroyed except by order of a Court and then usually only if they have been used as instruments in a crime. From murder to wounding to poaching.

So whilst the police may legitimately remove them if he no longer has a valid SGC they MUST then either allow an RFD or SGC holder to collect them or issue a temporary certificate to the owner to allow him to dispose of them to an RFD (or another SGC holder).

It may be easier to pre-empt and place the guns with an RFD BEFORE the SGC actually runs out of its validity. Thus fill in the renewal form with what is possessed and as soon as that is done and sent off then lodge the weapons with and RFD and do an advice of that "movement".

The guns are always his PROPERTY it is just that he cannot, if his SGC is no longer valid, legally have them in his keeping. Guns cannot be confiscated and/or destroyed except by order of a Court and then usually only if they have been used as instruments in a crime. From murder to wounding to poaching.

So whilst the police may legitimately remove them if he no longer has a valid SGC they MUST then either allow an RFD or SGC holder to collect them or issue a temporary certificate to the owner to allow him to dispose of them to an RFD (or another SGC holder).

It may be easier to pre-empt and place the guns with an RFD BEFORE the SGC actually runs out of its validity. Thus fill in the renewal form with what is possessed and as soon as that is done and sent off then lodge the weapons with and RFD and do an advice of that "movement".

Correct and I would add that, as its shotguns rather than firearms involved, he can simply 'give' them to a friend (with an sgc) rather than involve an Rfd.

I don't know what his health problems are, but if it's a case of him getting a bit old and can't go out so much, so long as he's still safe, there's not really a problem. Of course if he can't get out at all then there's not much point in hanging on to them really.

You should suggest to him that he could manage his guns, so that when the time comes to be getting rid of them, he does it on his own terms instead of rushing because it's renewal time. Perhaps get rid of the big heavy 12 bore and keep the nice 20 bore for a while or so.

Given some time, he could look to sell them for a decent price instead of trying to unload them at the nearest gun shop as his certificate expires the next day, because as you might guess, the RFD will offer somewhat less. Try looking on the Guntrader site (other sites are available, but that seems the most popular).

So long as the buyer has a shotgun certificate, it's easy, just fill in the bit on his certificate and tell your issuing authority. Job done.

The experience of a close friend is that old bill comes along, scoops up your stuff, doesn't handle it with the same respect that you'd give it, drives it to some store room somewhere, piles it all up in a corner. When you get it back, it is likely to be bashed, scratched, damaged, bolts missing from rifles, scopes dinged, quantities and types of ammunition differ from what they were and it all feels a bit unsatisfactory.
Given the chance I'd put my firearms with an RFD myself, shotguns with a friend and place my ammunition with friends who have authority for the type and quantity.

As above, if it's only shotguns were talking about it, he could gift you the guns prior to renewal, then all being well you gift them back when his sgc is renewed?

Or even just before the renewal simply loan them to a friend who has a shotgun certificate. Obviously notifying the police if the loan is going to be longer than 72 hours (you have 7 days in which to notify). Then simply return them when the renewal is completed and notify of the transfer once again.

Just another observation

enfieldspares says 'The guns are always his PROPERTY it is just that he cannot, if his SGC is no longer valid, legally have them in his keeping.'

Fine and reasonable, and I'm not arguing, this is just another comment.

All this business about not being able to pay for a firearm until there is a licence granted (slot on your certificate) even if the firearm is not transferred from the RFDs licence as this constitutes ownership without a licence.

I can understand RFDs saying this although it seems unethical to me, they have a vested interest in selling their own goods (you transfer your firearm to a dealer and I transfer it to me when I get a slot opened), but reading issues in this forum, this excuse seems to be being used by licensing officials as a caning rod, a severe no no, don't do it again!

I see no difference in having ownership before transferring a firearm and keeping ownership after transferring a firearm, and I admit you shouldn't have a problem should you do this.

I agree with enfieldspares and JC275, simply pre-emp the problem and transfer to a friend or RFD befor the licence expires.

hi sam dont know if this is any use, my mate had a tiff with his missus and bogged off , she put him through court bla bla bla anyway two numtys in tall hats wrapped 22lr five shotguns 12s and a air rifle in parcel tape and bin bags then placed them gently in a evidence room where they got dented scraped and chipped . also forgot to take the mod for 22lr and 65o wnchester subs left in open cabinet, any way all said guns are now on my tickets along with an appology delivered by feo ! ps i know there are firearms involved ie22lr and sound mod but i had slots for them witch feo rushed through to get them on ticket.

Last edited:
Many years ago now, a farmer found himself in trouble with his shotgun and the police. A sergeant and constable arrived and arrested the farmer, who was sat in the back of the police car. The sergeant told the PC to bring the shotgun and advised him to break it before putting it in the car. The PC, somewhat inexperienced in handling firearms, picked it up by the barrels and smashed it down on a stone wall, successfully "breaking" it.

Maybe things don't change too much.

Last edited:
Not read the whole thread so forgive me if this has been answered, but in what way do you think he won't "make the grade" ?

It is not the FEO or the FLD's job to assess physical health. Only if there is evidence of mental illness that is likely to make him unsafe to possess a shotgun might they consider not renewing.

An Du Ru Fox , that was one of the things I was concerned about , the care of the guns.

Pedro , that really made me chuckle.

Matt-hooks , to be honest mate , he has had a lot of drink problems ,which has affected his health , along with a heart condition. I might be being overly cautious about it all.

Hi all.
just to put a little bit of angle on this here's a quive always kinda wondered,
if police arrive for what ever reason to take your firearms can you remove from them any non licence necessary parts before they walk out of the door with them ? ie... scopes, rings, sling, or even for that matter as you dont need to have a ticket to buy one say a stock !!!!
Regards
Jimmy

The only confiscation I have heard of myself didn't really allow for anything like your asking jimmy. Everything even slightly fun related was taken away and it took quite some time for the non ticket items to be returned.

If the police turn up to seize items such as firearms I can't see them allowing you to remove 'bits', unless you are lucky and get a very understanding officer.

Gun storage in police and forensic facilities is all about security and continuity of evidence, not necessarily keeping your guns in good nick and totally undamaged. Whilst I don't believe that deliberate damage would be caused, we are not talking padded gun racks we are generally talking metal shelving with insufficient space and stuff piled up on top of each other, or guns stood up in groups in various corners. Dents and scrapes would not be uncommon. I've seen a number of these facilities first hand so know the score.

In my view the best plan for anyone faced with gun seizure issues would be storage with an RFD or a mate (if appropriate/allowable). As a minimum I'd take some decent photos of guns before they were handed over to the police.

hh

Hi all.
just to put a little bit of angle on this here's a quive always kinda wondered,
if police arrive for what ever reason to take your firearms can you remove from them any non licence necessary parts before they walk out of the door with them ? ie... scopes, rings, sling, or even for that matter as you dont need to have a ticket to buy one say a stock !!!!
Regards
Jimmy

If they consider it necessary to remove them then they are very unlikely to even let you touch any firearm never mind remove component parts. This is mainly for personal safety of the officers involved but also continuity of evidence reasons. Your best bet if you value your firearm is to supply a good gun cover or case so that the firearm may be protected slightly when being stored which as Haggis Hunter says is all about security and continuity of evidence.

Even better is if it can be arranged for the safe storage of such firearms but a RFD. I've had it in the past where firearms have been removed from a club member's possession following revocation of a certificate and with his permission and a temporary permit handed over to me for safe keeping. The police openly admitting that they don't really have suitable facilities for storing his guns and still ensuring that they don't get damaged. Mind you though they could also have been thinking of a local case where a long serving police sergeant actually removed parts from guns that had been "surrendered" and was subsequently disciplined for it. A disappointing end to a police career by someone who was one of the good guys by all accounts.

Last edited:
Back