Thread: Coal

Coal

Hi All,

I have a quick question regarding reloading.

I was at the reloading bench last night making up some .243 ammo. I have worked up a recipe for it using 100gn (Speer) heads with an C.O.A.L of 2.339. So I loaded the new rounds to the same recipe as the last, but when I went to test them today I found that they would not chamber. when I removed to the round the head was marked suggesting it was hard up against the lands. So I measured the distance to the lands again with the new heads and found a C.O.A.L of 2.315.

So first question: Is this simply due to a different batch of heads or have I done something wrong? Second: I usually back off 20thou from the lands which gives me a good grouping at 300yds, so I assume that if I do the same the results should be the same regardless of the different length?

Any advice would be great

ATB

Entirely possible you have pushed the bullet further in when it hit the lands
    it sounds like a measurement disparity
    are you comparing OAL to tip with OAL to ogive?
    are the bullets the same ogive profile?

think I would start by checking my chamber size and distance to lands and double check your data

Thanks bewsher500,

I was comparing ogive to ogive. The bullets should have the same ogive profile since they are the same as the last lot...shouldn't they?

I measured to the lands using the hornady gauge twice ( 2 batches of 10 ) and the average was 2.315 to the lands.

Thanks for the ideas. I guess its back to the drawing board

Quote Originally Posted by u32dw View Post
    Thanks bewsher500,

I was comparing ogive to ogive. The bullets should have the same ogive profile since they are the same as the last lot...shouldn't they?

I measured to the lands using the hornady gauge twice ( 2 batches of 10 ) and the average was 2.315 to the lands.

Thanks for the ideas. I guess its back to the drawing board
    Only a thought have you been measuring for a different caliber and not changed
    the insert back over ?
    regards pete

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by u32dw View Post
    Hi All,

I have a quick question regarding reloading.

I was at the reloading bench last night making up some .243 ammo. I have worked up a recipe for it using 100gn (Speer) heads with an C.O.A.L of 2.339. So I loaded the new rounds to the same recipe as the last, but when I went to test them today I found that they would not chamber. when I removed to the round the head was marked suggesting it was hard up against the lands. So I measured the distance to the lands again with the new heads and found a C.O.A.L of 2.315.

So first question: Is this simply due to a different batch of heads or have I done something wrong? Second: I usually back off 20thou from the lands which gives me a good grouping at 300yds, so I assume that if I do the same the results should be the same regardless of the different length?

Any advice would be great

ATB
    Seems too short to be problematic.

Are the bullets "marked" on one side only?

Thanks for the replies guys,

Pete, no I check the insert and its the correct one.

Tamus, the bullet is marked all the way round.

I have just re measured to the lands twice again and got the same average of 2.315", so I reckon I'll just back it off 20 thou and see how they group

ATB