Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First test of HPS-loaded 7mm-08 ammunition

First test of HPS-loaded 7mm-08 ammunition

Hello everyone.

Today I finally picked up my first batch of 7mm-08 ammunition loaded for me by HPS Target Rifles Ltd, with 140gr Nosler BTs, essentially a clone of the Federal Vital Shoks that I'd been using. If you have a look at the attached zeroing target, you may or may no come to the same conclusions as I did. To clarify:
    - In the top left-hand corner, the aforementionned Federal Vital Shok 140gr Nosler BTs as a control group. It's a wider group than previously, perhaps because they were the first shots from a squeaky clean barrel, but probably just because of me.
    - In the top right-hand corner, some Federal Fusion 140gr that The Deer Man from here gave me last year and that I'd never had a chance to test. It's a fine group, which has been the case with all Federal ammunition I've tried so far.
    - In the middle, my first go with the HPS ammunition. The first group of three are all in the vertical line of four to the right. All I could deduce from that was that I needed to go a couple of clicks to the left. A further three shots proved nothing apart from that the barrel of my Steyr-Mannlicher stutzen was too hot. So I stopped for a while at this point.
    - In the bottom-left target, my final attempt with the HPS rounds. From this group, I came to the conclusion that they are at least as good as the Federal ones they're supposed to be a clone of (top left), and that both are capable of shooting tighter groups than I am. In the case of any of the the corner targets (the ones not shot when the barrel was boiling hot), we have a dead deer at 100m.

So broadly, I'm happy enough with that. A bargain at 1/3rd of the price of the factory stuff, but all the Federal rounds I've used remain brilliant. Frankly, in terms of accuracy, I'd happily use any of them. No idea why the Fusions produced the best group this time, rather than the Vital Shoks, but it's not because of the gear...

Attachment 36971
    Last edited by Pine Marten; 19-01-2014 at 19:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Hello everyone.

Today I finally picked up my first batch of 7mm-08 ammunition loaded for me by HPS Target Rifles Lts, with 140gr Noslet BTs, essentially a clone of the Federal Vital Shoks that I'd been using. If you have a look at the attached zeroing target, you may or may no come to the same conclusions as I did. To clarify:
    - In the top left-hand corner, the aforementionned Federal Vital Shok 140gr Nosler BTs as a control group. It's a wider group than previously, perhaps because they were the first shots from a squeaky clean barrel, but probably just because of me.
    - In the top right-hand corner, some Federal Fusion 140gr that The Deer Man from here gave me last year and that I'd never had a chance to test. It's a fine group, which has been the case with all Federal ammunition I've tried so far.
    - In the middle, my first go with the HPS ammunition. The first group of three are all in the vertical line of four to the right. All I could deduce from that was that I needed to go a couple of clicks to the left. A further three shots proved nothing apart from that the barrel of my Steyr-Mannlicher stutzen was too hot. So I stopped for a while at this point.
    - In the bottom-left target, my final attempt with the HPS rounds. From this group, I came to the conclusion that they are at least as good as the Federal ones they're supposed to be a clone of (top right), and that both are capable of shooting tighter groups than I am. In the case of any of the the corner targets (the ones not shot when the barrel was boiling hot), we have a dead deer at 100m.

So broadly, I'm happy enough with that. A bargain at 1/3rd of the price of the factory stuff, but all the Federal rounds I've used remain brilliant. Frankly, in terms of accuracy, I'd happily use any of them. No idea why the Fusions produced the best group this time, rather than the Vital Shoks, but it's not because of the gear...

Attachment 36971
    The fusions work really well in my 30 .06 also very impressed
    if I were you I'd be buying up some stock of the fusions and stick with them
    confidence is everything with shooting
    regards pete

PM

Worth sending that to John and get an opinion... Might be that they reduce the load to increase accuracy

Cheers
    iain
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Roedinator View Post
    The fusions work really well in my 30 .06 also very impressed
    if I were you I'd be buying up some stock of the fusions and stick with them
    confidence is everything with shooting
    regards pete
    I agree they work very well, but I've had groups like that with the Vital Shoks (top left) and the Power Shoks. It just seems that my rifle likes all the Federal loads. However, I can't find a regular supply of any of those in London, and certainly not at a decent price. Essentially, I'm confident that my cartridges, rifle and scope are perfectly up to the task. Whether I am is a separate matter and just down to practice.

Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    PM

Worth sending that to John and get an opinion... Might be that they reduce the load to increase accuracy

Cheers
    iain
    I'll certainly share it Iain, but I suspect that the rounds are perhaps more capable than the shooter. For now though, any of those would be accurate enough to shoot a deer, which is the main thing. They go within an inch or so of where I want them to.

I have load data for my 7mm08 using 100, 120 and 140 gn bullets if you want it.

They all shoot to the same point of aim at 100 yds (or whatever the range is on the statics on the BSRC) so I just grab the relevant load for whatever I'm shooting that day which is handy.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

PM

Please take up reloading as previously urged! I'm still happy to give you a small RCBS press to help get you started.

All this having someone else cobble together rounds for you is frankly painful to observe as are, if I'm honest, the groups which I fear are little to do with your 'hold' but rather no more than the less than ideal rounds you've been given.

If you must stick with HPS loaded ammo can they not produce a variety of loadings and with .5g powder increments just as you would work-up a load for any rifle were it your arm cranking the press? Also, what was the approach to agreeing a seating depth? Who measured OAL?

Incidentally best groups tend to be near maximum load at least that's what I've found.

I've no doubt your rifle is capable of significantly better 5-shot groups than those above and as the Federal top right group hints at.

Cheers

K

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    PM

Please take up reloading as previously urged! I'm still happy to give you a small RCBS press to help get you started.

All this having someone else cobble together rounds for you is frankly painful to observe as are, if I'm honest, the groups which I fear are little to do with your 'hold' but rather no more than the less than ideal rounds you've been given.

If you must stick with HPS loaded ammo can they not produce a variety of loadings and with .5g powder increments just as you would work-up a load for any rifle were it your arm cranking the press? Also, what was the approach to agreeing a seating depth? Who measured OAL?

Incidentally best groups tend to be near maximum load at least that's what I've found.

I've no doubt your rifle is capable of significantly better 5-shot groups than those above and as the Federal top right group hints at.

Cheers

K
    Very good advice.

Agree with KB, ISTM you should be able to do much better yourself, with even the most basic reloading kit.

There is also indication of horizontal stringing, which may be a technique problem, or perhaps a characteristic of your full-stock rifle.

It was brave of you to post that target.

Not familiar with HPS methods to develop a custom load, perhaps you could explain how they approach this, and what load details they provide to the customer (should be stated on the proof house certificate ?)

I have a portable reloading kit which fits in a .50 cal ammo box, based on a Lee hand press, can be tucked away anywhere, no dedicated workspace required. I'd be happy to post a parts list.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    .....However, I can't find a regular supply of any of those in London, and certainly not at a decent price. .
    Then that is good reason to approach you firearms dept and request increasing your purchasing qty so you can buy at least a 200 box or two at a time. You would also in a better position with the rfd to get it for you and secure a better price.