Thread: Simple emergency dog tracker

Simple emergency dog tracker

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140120_173009.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	202.1 KB 
ID:	37022Hi All

I recently found a small GPS tracker that works via GSM and text messaging to control and get location updates. Now I have Border Terrier that I dont want to loose but can't justify a full blown GPS tracking collar solution. So for 20 and a pay as you go SIM has me a very small tracker that I can attach to his collar or harness. I can then send it an sms text and within seconds it sends me back a text with lat lon coordinates and a link to google maps to pinpoint him on a map. I also found a mapping / tracking software that I have loaded onto my phone and automatically reads the text and puts his position on a map.

Only works with GSM coverage but if lost your dog is more than likely return to some coverage and the tracker report back. The tracker is about the size of a box of matches and from my tests so far is very accurate.
    May be of interest to others looking for a simple cost effective tracker solution.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140120_171806.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	203.3 KB 
ID:	37021

links please!

Yup That's the one. Only go for the TK102 as some cheaper ones don't work and again get it from a uk supplier not China.
    They have many other uses and features but just playing with the basic positioning at the moment.
    Last edited by Cris; 20-01-2014 at 18:47.

Paul

You fitting one to your new chickens. !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cris View Post
    Hi All

I recently found a small GPS tracker that works via GSM and text messaging to control and get location updates. Now I have Border Terrier that I dont want to loose but can't justify a full blown GPS tracking collar solution. So for 20 and a pay as you go SIM has me a very small tracker that I can attach to his collar or harness. I can then send it an sms text and within seconds it sends me back a text with lat lon coordinates and a link to google maps to pinpoint him on a map. I also found a mapping / tracking software that I have loaded onto my phone and automatically reads the text and puts his position on a map.

Only works with GSM coverage but if lost your dog is more than likely return to some coverage and the tracker report back. The tracker is about the size of a box of matches and from my tests so far is very accurate.
    May be of interest to others looking for a simple cost effective tracker solution.
    Hello Cris.

Greath post, thank you. Please can you advise the name of the tracking / mapping software you found aswell, as I cannot seem to find anything on the App store, so if internet based need to be a bit more specific ??

Many thanks for the great find.

All the best.

Neil.