Dog Disease

ljs

Signs are to be put up in the New Forest warning dog owners about a little-known disease that has killed 17 dogs across Britain in recent months.
The Forestry Commission notices tell owners to take their pet to a vet should it develop lesions on its legs, paws and face.
Vets say the disease - which leads to kidney failure - is most likely "Alabama Rot", which was first seen in the US in the 1980s.
Saw this on BBC news any one on the ground seen this ?

Just heard this morning on radio that the initial test results were not conclusive so will have to wait and see, but according to some this is not as localized as first thought!

Extract from New Forrest District Council web page

Tests were carried out in 2013 on both the environment and the affected dogs. The more common causes of acute kidney failure have been normal in all affected dogs. The changes identified are similar to those seen in human patients with a condition called Haemolytic Uraemic Syndrome (HUS). In some people with HUS an E.coli toxin (shiga toxin) has been identified as the underlying cause; however, the underlying trigger for HUS is not always found. Both the faeces and kidney tissue of affected dogs have been examined for E.coli toxin and testing has been negative. Further testing on kidney tissue to try and identify the underlying cause is ongoing.

My very good friend and stalking partner lost his lab to this recently, it went down hill very quickly and the vets could do nothing about it. Also just last week I was talking to a chap who had also lost his pet collie. I no longer take my dog on the forest.

I really hope they get to the bottom of this quickly to avoid any more deaths.

Has anyone made any association between this and the sudden canine death as has been experienced in and around thetford forest and other places in the east over the past few years?

In addition there is also another disease similar called Canine leishmaniasis which is spreading fast and is zoonotic currently in the Mediterranean and heading this way ,with no preventative vaccine ......

Back