Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I shoot a Dog?!

Can I shoot a Dog?!

I had an incident this morning in a wood where it is clearly signed that deer management is in operation and it also clearly states that any visiting dogs must be kept on leads. Imagine my surprise to see a young Fallow Doe charging through the wood with a very large German Shepherd dog snapping at its heels! The crashing through the wood continued and I have no idea of the outcome. The owner could be heard calling for the dog in the far distance.
    This got me thinking......
    Could the dog be shot if it either chased or caught the deer, or does that only apply to domestic livestock and not wild animals?
    Would the same apply to park deer or deer in an enclosed area? Any thoughts from the legal boffins?
    MS

in a word no,
    unless the deer was farmed and in a pen.....

I would have said no but what about shooting the dog humanely to prevent suffering to another animal? Is it different as a dog belongs to someone? Maybe get in trouble for criminal damage?

Is your firearm licensed for the protection of deer?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    I had an incident this morning in a wood where it is clearly signed that deer management is in operation and it also clearly states that any visiting dogs must be kept on leads. Imagine my surprise to see a young Fallow Doe charging through the wood with a very large German Shepherd dog snapping at its heels! The crashing through the wood continued and I have no idea of the outcome. The owner could be heard calling for the dog in the far distance.
    This got me thinking......
    Could the dog be shot if it either chased or caught the deer, or does that only apply to domestic livestock and not wild animals?
    Would the same apply to park deer or deer in an enclosed area? Any thoughts from the legal boffins?
    MS
    I have been having exactly the same in one of my woods, something along the lines of a large black lab x belgian shepherd chasing the fallow through the wood 3 times now except there was no owner calling which made it even worse. The trouble is in the half light and you hear a crash through the undergrowth and see a fallow fawn appear you check behind ready to aim at the follower in case that stops, in this case it was a puzzled dog to my surprise!

Be prepared for a trip to the courts if you do pull the trigger though as it is a very grey area!

Quote Originally Posted by PointBlank View Post

Be prepared for a trip to the courts if you do pull the trigger though as it is a very grey area!
    Its not grey at all
    its black and white

No!

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Its not grey at all
    its black and white

No!
    ... unless it's on your FAC.

Legal minefield, so best avoided at all costs. Some interrupted stalking Vs someones much loved pet being shot.. It won't go in your favour & you have a lot to loose if it goes wrong. If there is an owner in tow then you should find them & make your case firmly enough that it does not happen again. That said there must be some creative ways of dissuading an unattended dog form chasing the deer repeatedly that don't involve carrying a shovel from now on...

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Although Scottish Law, this might help: Can a keeper shoot a dog for chasing a deer If so in what - JustAnswer

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

... there are other options for dealing with this problem, track down and identify the owner/handler of the dog and report them to the police: http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...n-a-Driven-Day I think I have the various references at work, I'll dig them out ...