Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EBC Ammonia Source for Electronic Bore Cleaner

EBC Ammonia Source for Electronic Bore Cleaner

Looking to build an EBC.

Any chemicals I have around the house such as Toilet duck or somesuch that would be a good source of Ammonia? Or failing that where would be a good source? Don't want to get something that contains extra nasties that mess up the solution.

Thanks.

Smelling salts?

or you could try this:

880 ammonia solution
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Got mine in Tesco.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

I use a "common household ammonia" which I believe is 5%. Avoid the "sudsing" variants or those enhanced with citrus products. Plain household ammonia is getting more difficult to find these days. ~Muir

Got some in the local chemist, doesn't say anything about other ingredients, just that it's 5%. Fingers crossed.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I use a "common household ammonia" which I believe is 5%. Avoid the "sudsing" variants or those enhanced with citrus products. Plain household ammonia is getting more difficult to find these days. ~Muir
    The strong stuff is getting difficult because it can be used for making some very interesting materials.
    Gone are the days of playing about with ammonium tri-iodide and anhydrous picric acid.
    Cant even get your hands on some decent solid sodium or potassium
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by Toxster View Post
    Got some in the local chemist, doesn't say anything about other ingredients, just that it's 5%. Fingers crossed.

Thanks.
    If you can take a quick sniff without having your eyeballs fly from your head you're probably good. How much voltage are you running??~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    Gone are the days of playing about with ammonium tri-iodide and anhydrous picric acid. Cant even get your hands on some decent solid sodium or potassium
    I know, there's no fun to be had anymore is there? And then folk complain about kids today not being adventurous....

KG12 seems to have done the trick for now. Only a few rounds down will tell I guess.

Many years ago I built a EBC using a 1.3V battery with the return feed through a 0-100 Ma panel meter so I could keep track of the cleaning progress. It's been at least 25 years now that I've been using that unit. I don't use it every time I clean -usually just the first time to get the bore clean and then use simple chemical cleaners thereafter.~Muir