Thread: Best Before dates

Best Before dates

I have been looking at the labelling requirements that trading standards require on pre-packaged meat and they state a best before or use by date is essential among other things I've already got covered. What do you others that sell burgers/sausages use to decide the dates you put on? Is there a set formula or an educated guess?

Cheers

Can't remember exactly but I think its 10 days unprocessed and 5 processed. Think it's also dependant how it's packaged (vac PAC) etc.

Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    Can't remember exactly but I think its 10 days unprocessed and 5 processed. Think it's also dependant how it's packaged (vac PAC) etc.
    is it as simple as that? I did try searching on the googleator but just ended up with a headache!

Anyone else got any knowledge about the subject

this is something I have been thinking about - not sure how to reconcile the ageing / hanging process with any '10 days unprocessed' guidance....
    - How is it that I can buy 28 day aged beef?
    - If I hang for 10 days does that make all the vension unfit for human consumption?

If the clock starts ticking when I butcher it, with no account of ageing, then these rules are daft. I would also happily keep fresh vacuum packed meatfor longer than non vacuum packed meat. Should this therefore also be a factor in determining use by date?

Quite surprised there hasn't been more input on this, or don't most of you bother with dates?