Thread: Split necks after 3 firings

Split necks after 3 firings

Hi,

Just had 2 cases with split necks for the 1st time. These are Hornady cases and have only been fired 3 times (reloaded 2 x). Each time after resizing I have had to trim the case's to length.

When the cartridge is fired and the necks splits is this likely to have an effect on accuracy ???

I ask as, I fired 4 shots last night. 1 of which hit, but I thought, as I pulled the trigger I was to the left. 1 missed but thought I was bang on, both shots off sticks. Set target up and was well to the right on one from prone position. I do not know which of the cases split on what shot.

Should I discard all the Hornady cases and move onto my next make of cases ???? (privy, norma or fiocchi )

I know I need to check my zero as the scope could be out but wondered if split neck could cause such a shift.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by charlieboy-shooter View Post
    Hi,

Just had 2 cases with split necks for the 1st time. These are Hornady cases and have only been fired 3 times (reloaded 2 x). Each time after resizing I have had to trim the case's to length.

When the cartridge is fired and the necks splits is this likely to have an effect on accuracy ???

I ask as, I fired 4 shots last night. 1 of which hit, but I thought, as I pulled the trigger I was to the left. 1 missed but thought I was bang on, both shots off sticks. Set target up and was well to the right on one from prone position. I do not know which of the cases split on what shot.

Should I discard all the Hornady cases and move onto my next make of cases ???? (privy, norma or fiocchi )

I know I need to check my zero as the scope could be out but wondered if split neck could cause such a shift.

Thanks
    Anything different with loaded ammo will show some variation, maybe not a lot but enough to put me off, a lot of good shooting comes from confidence and familiarity with your kit - any doubts any you are stuffed.

Case neck splits could be due to poor quality brass, work hardening, slack chamber dimensions - measure the outside neck of a fired case, a sized ready to be loaded case, and finally one complete with bullet seated. By all means post these measurements and I will tell you what I think.

Thanks trifle codor.

These are a sample of the following dimensions I measured from several of these Hornady cases.

O/S Dia of fired case, neck Case neck thickness

0.2770 , 0.0155" - 0.0165"

(few measured 0.2780")

O/S Dia of sized case neck, Case neck thickness

0.2695"- 0.2690", 0.0155"
    (these are sized cases from mentioned batch but after being fired 3 X )

O/S Dia of case neck, bullet seated, Case neck thickness

0.2700" , ?

I have some once fired Hornady cases and I got the following dimension from these

O/S Dia of fired case neck, Case neck thickness

0.2780", 0.0170"

I have one unfired factory cartridge from this batch of brass and the neck measure 0.2715"

It seem that the necks are getting thinner as I would expect, as I have trimmed each case after sizing. So based on these neck thickness should I discard and move to next make ???

I did test the Zero of the rifle and yes was off. One of the cases neck split, whilst rezeroing but did not seem to make a difference to POI.

Thanks
    Last edited by charlieboy-shooter; 27-01-2014 at 12:06. Reason: once posted all text/figures shifted

I've had some cases split at the neck and just up from the base when shooting at 1000yds, not sure on the necks but when I had one split up from the base the shot went right a foot and 18 inches low, stalking ranges very little I would imagine.

What calibre and load are you using buddy?

I've only had this with a batch of Remington (R-P Headstamp) in 308.
    They went brittle and after two reloads cracks a plenty.
    I did anneal them once and thence to the skip.

I've some Hornady cases and they seem ok (17 HH and 22-250) but I do anneal every couple of reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex View Post
    What calibre and load are you using buddy?
    .243 with 58g vmax with 47.5 g h380, col 2.600. No signs of pressure, just some sooting on neck only