Thread: reamers

reamers

Are chamber reamers made standard and if you wanted it throated for longer bullets is a throating reamer used or do they make a chamber reamer with the throating reamer on the end so the job is done all in one go.i am not familiar with this process.

Reamers are made to SAAMI / CIP spec

They come with a "throat" which is fairly short, unless specified, I always spec mine for a particular bullet weight or range of weight.

Throating reamers are just that - a reamer for the throat, very, very easy to go too deep..unless you have the right tool.

Thank you redmist, I was thinking on the right lines then.

"very, very easy to go too deep" Well said. Why not get Norman Clark to do the (assumed) proposed job for you?

Reamers can be made to whatever specifications you want. A good plan if you want a longer than standard throat is to either buy or order a reamer with no throat provision and then cut the throat with a throating reamer to accommodate your load, or use the standard reamer and them lengthen it with a throating reamer.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Reamers can be made to whatever specifications you want. A good plan if you want a longer than standard throat is to either buy or order a reamer with no throat provision and then cut the throat with a throating reamer to accommodate your load, or use the standard reamer and them lengthen it with a throating reamer.~Muir
    Second that, when I order reamers I generally go with minimum no turn neck dimension (wont suit everyone) and the shortest throat length - adjust later with throating reamer for the calibre - you can even get neck reamers if you want? Consider magazine size for maximum cartridge length to feed from mag or single shot feed which is not always ideal.

some people can struggle with throating reamers. best option for someone who knows nothing about how to spec a reamer would be to phone a reamer maker and describe what they want and follow the reamer maker's advice. they'll have a good idea of the amount of freebore you'll want for whatever bullet you want to shoot. there's a lot to reamers that a lot of people don't understand or even don't want to understand. happy shooting.