Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 63

Thread: Rebarrel cost

  1. #1

    Rebarrel cost

    Having never had it done myself or had any friends that have needed to do it - I was wondering what the average total cost (all in) was for rebarrelling an off the shelf rifle, lets say for example t a Tikka T3 30/06 and a Sauer 202 in 243?

    Obviously the 202 is a switch barrel rifle but do Gunsmiths offer a pattern barrel for them?

    I am just talking a standard sporter barrel, nothing fancy just comparible to the original.

    The final thing is would anyone know what the cost would be if done in the USA as apposed to here in the UK?

    Regards,

    Gixer

  2. #2
    Switch barrels for Sauer etc, would need to be made under licence.

    Ive just done another 30-06 which was 550 all in, chambered, threaded, fitted and proofed.

    Why would you want to send a rifle to the US?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jager SA View Post
    Switch barrels for Sauer etc, would need to be made under licence.

    Ive just done another 30-06 which was 550 all in, chambered, threaded, fitted and proofed.

    Why would you want to send a rifle to the US?
    Hi Jager,

    I wouldn't be sending the rifles over, I would be doing it while over there with the rifles.

    The 550 on the Tikka, that kinda surprises me as another 280 gets you a complete new rifle!

    the reason i ask is my rifles here are used for stalking and foxing, the barrels would most likely last forever in this role as long as they are looked after, I will be moving to the states within the next year and there is a rather good rifle range/club in the town I will be in, obviously this opens up a lot of possibilities for paper punching so I intend to take full advantage of this! I would assume with a high volume of rounds through them there is the chance I could burn a couple of barrels so just wondered what the cost would be.

    Sauer rifles aren't that common in the states and in fact I never saw a single one in three different states in all the gun shops I was in so I wonder if I would be better just storing the Sauer but would hate to do this as I'd love a shot at long range targets with it as its such an accurate rifle in its use here.

    Has anyone bought a Sauer barrel in 243 and if so what was the damage?

    Regards,

    Gixer

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by gixer1 View Post
    Hi Jager,

    I wouldn't be sending the rifles over, I would be doing it while over there with the rifles.

    The 550 on the Tikka, that kinda surprises me as another 280 gets you a complete new rifle!

    the reason i ask is my rifles here are used for stalking and foxing, the barrels would most likely last forever in this role as long as they are looked after, I will be moving to the states within the next year and there is a rather good rifle range/club in the town I will be in, obviously this opens up a lot of possibilities for paper punching so I intend to take full advantage of this! I would assume with a high volume of rounds through them there is the chance I could burn a couple of barrels so just wondered what the cost would be.

    Sauer rifles aren't that common in the states and in fact I never saw a single one in three different states in all the gun shops I was in so I wonder if I would be better just storing the Sauer but would hate to do this as I'd love a shot at long range targets with it as its such an accurate rifle in its use here.

    Has anyone bought a Sauer barrel in 243 and if so what was the damage?

    Regards,

    Gixer
    How much was you thinking a new custom barrel would cost?
    Yes you could probably get another rifle for a bit more money but it will be another factory rifle. If you're not coming back ditch the Sauer, you're going to a place where Firearms is almost a way of life.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jager SA View Post
    Switch barrels for Sauer etc, would need to be made under licence.

    Ive just done another 30-06 which was 550 all in, chambered, threaded, fitted and proofed.

    Why would you want to send a rifle to the US?

    "Switch barrels for Sauer etc, would need to be made under licence."
    Why ? so long as the maker did not try to pass it off as an original part I cant see any legal issues?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Johno100 View Post

    "Switch barrels for Sauer etc, would need to be made under licence."
    Why ? so long as the maker did not try to pass it off as an original part I cant see any legal issues?
    It would be identical to the original part whether the maker palmed it off as his or the original. Can just imagine Sauer, Mauser, Blaser etc sitting back thinking it's ok for someone to copy their barrels and flogging them cheaper! And what about copyright?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Jager SA View Post
    It would be identical to the original part whether the maker palmed it off as his or the original. Can just imagine Sauer, Mauser, Blaser etc sitting back thinking it's ok for someone to copy their barrels and flogging them cheaper! And what about copyright?
    It happens legally with millions of car parts every day , cant see as the law would be different on gun parts.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Johno100 View Post
    It happens legally with millions of car parts every day , cant see as the law would be different on gun parts.
    I think switch rifle barrels would be slightly different, they're not exactly sold to the masses like Ford.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by gixer1 View Post
    Having never had it done myself or had any friends that have needed to do it - I was wondering what the average total cost (all in) was for rebarrelling an off the shelf rifle, lets say for example t a Tikka T3 30/06 and a Sauer 202 in 243?

    Obviously the 202 is a switch barrel rifle but do Gunsmiths offer a pattern barrel for them?

    I am just talking a standard sporter barrel, nothing fancy just comparible to the original.

    The final thing is would anyone know what the cost would be if done in the USA as apposed to here in the UK?

    Regards,

    Gixer
    I seem to remember Border Barrels advertised a Sauer 202 rebarrel solution, if I remember correctly it was a bushing that matched the 202 tenon with an internal thread for a barrel to be mated to? Wasn't that keen on the idea myself.

    As Jager says firearms are a way of life over there, no proof laws either when it comes to rebarreling, you can pretty much rock up to a gunsmith and have the work done while you wait - assuming you book in etc.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by trifle codor View Post
    I seem to remember Border Barrels advertised a Sauer 202 rebarrel solution, if I remember correctly it was a bushing that matched the 202 tenon with an internal thread for a barrel to be mated to? Wasn't that keen on the idea myself.

    As Jager says firearms are a way of life over there, no proof laws either when it comes to rebarreling, you can pretty much rock up to a gunsmith and have the work done while you wait - assuming you book in etc.
    I think you're right actually, I seem to recall hearing of such an adapter/fitting from Border a while back.

    If only one could rock up and have work done without any beurocratic bullsiht, wouldn't that be peachy.

Similar Threads

  1. rebarrel
    By swarovski in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 17-08-2013, 13:12
  2. rifle rebarrel cost
    By nicholiath in forum Cleaning, Gunsmithing and Equipment Care
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-06-2013, 20:16
  3. rebarrel
    By quiteman in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 24-11-2012, 23:40
  4. 308 rebarrel to 7mm08, what will it cost.
    By sinbad in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 04-01-2011, 20:06
  5. rebarrel
    By discovery in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30-09-2010, 20:47

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •