Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Out with the HD38s

Out with the HD38s

Well my shooting partner has a new toy and its the fourth time its been in use.

Must say mighty impressed roe at rediculous ranges and watching rats on a ploughed field ayt 50+yds is impressive.

Last night located a vixen in the miidlde of what was effectively a ploughed field except it was a horse paddock, unfortunately unapproachable as we were upwind and walking/stalking through 6" of gluppy mud.

Very intresting to see reaction to call (terror) and legged it and watched to well over 500yds.

Very impressive bit of kit, however we did get a big vixen in a lambing field by traditional means.

Looking forward to seeing performance on a very cold night.

Must say bit of a steep learning curve id the thermal image of animals, first time i saw a fox at close range thought it was a lynx as appeared to have no tail. Sheep wool is a very good insulator.

D

They are a fantastic piece of kit, and i rate the HD38S with the best of thermals on the market.

The 25 grand Thermoteknix TiCam750LR is of course in a different league at long range, however up to 400m there is not THAT much in them tbh.

Im loving my 38S, here is the result from my first session with it. The more you use it the better it gets. Thank you Scott Country great service.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0745.jpg  

what's the magnification on the hd38 and how far can you recognise a fox at realistically? are they worth the money?

X2 mag, i can id a fox out to 400y+ but use an nv spotter alongside it. With a bit of practice it gets easier to tell the difference between fox,badger and munty. Deffo worth the money and some.
    Last edited by pricketfella; 11-02-2014 at 14:45.

thanks mate I am considering buying one as an addition to my NV

Well myself and Sussex Fallow were out on Tues eve and I think its fair to say that it is an unbelievable piece of kit. We shot 2 foxs saw 6 more and once you know what you are looking at a charlie at 600+yds is not a problem far further than you could ever shoot.

Have been using one for about a month now and has resulted in 5 extremly wary foxs now removed. On tues we had opportunity to watch horses, rabbits, foxs and badgers, the brock probably started out at 400+ on a wheat field and came up to 30yds. Also allowed a comparison with a Photon with x2 doubler and the image quality was excellent.

It will take a while to get used to what things look like at night with a thermal but if you have a fox moving very easy to id from its gaint. however a pile of horse dung looks not unsimilar to a rabbit at 300yds. Also if you have a fox clamped down its difficult to ID, then NV with IR helps because of the eye shine.

From Tues experience I am prety sure another HD38s will be on order.

D

Quote Originally Posted by carlthetrapper View Post
    thanks mate I am considering buying one as an addition to my NV
    You wont be dissapointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post
    Well myself and Sussex Fallow were out on Tues eve and I think its fair to say that it is an unbelievable piece of kit. We shot 2 foxs saw 6 more and once you know what you are looking at a charlie at 600+yds is not a problem far further than you could ever shoot.

Have been using one for about a month now and has resulted in 5 extremly wary foxs now removed. On tues we had opportunity to watch horses, rabbits, foxs and badgers, the brock probably started out at 400+ on a wheat field and came up to 30yds. Also allowed a comparison with a Photon with x2 doubler and the image quality was excellent.

It will take a while to get used to what things look like at night with a thermal but if you have a fox moving very easy to id from its gaint. however a pile of horse dung looks not unsimilar to a rabbit at 300yds. Also if you have a fox clamped down its difficult to ID, then NV with IR helps because of the eye shine.

From Tues experience I am prety sure another HD38s will be on order.

D
    Ive had 11 with mine, most of which nv alone wouldnt have let me know they were about due to being in cover.

What NV kit are you using, just out of interest..
    Cheers Neil