Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4x4 but not a pickup.

4x4 but not a pickup.

I'm looking to change my car and 4x4 for an all rounder. Due to still needing to do some quite long distances I've decided rather than a pickup I'm going to go for either a CRV, Xtrail, Rav4 or similar. I intend to be able to use the whole rear area for a large dog box or carcass tray and just replace the rear seats when needed.

Does anyone have one of the above or similar and be kind enough to give their opinion with this use in mind?

I test drove the Jeep compass,, Honda CRV,, VW Tiguan, Kia sportage, Ford Kuga and a few others last week.
    Best of the bunch was the Jeep compass

Then I bought a Mitsi L200

SD Regular
    X-Trail = Nissan
    CRV = OAP
    Rav4 = Hairdresser

....so the RAV is perfect for you.

X-Trail, yes, Mitsubishi Outlander is another option. All depends on your other requirements of price, age, mileage, budget - and just how capable an off-roader you want. Suzuki Grand Vitara is meant to be very good off road for example - has proper low range/diff I believe
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Have a look at a freelander 2,

the wifes does 40 mpg tows well, (not at the same time) and has room in the back for several dogs/deer.

I haven't driven one, but everyone I know who had says the CRV is the best to drive on-road. Does 40 plus mpg and handles like a "normal" car. Nice big boot in there too. I'm trying to convince the wife we should get one...

Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post

the wifes does 40 mpg tows well, (not at the same time) and has room in the back for several dogs/deer.
    + 1. Regards pete

I am sort of there. We inherited a Renault kangoo with snow and mud tires - works a treat around the farm. 4x4 version would be brilliant. We also have an Audi a4 allroad - awesome machine. 40mpg with roof box and full of skis 3 adults for a long trip to the alps. Will go happily up muddy tracks etc. and reasonable load space. If I was going to be carrying lots of deer I would get a tow bar box. Subaru Forester is also well worth a look now is a diesel.

Mitsubishi shogun swb go like S*it off a shovel, pulls like a train, and handles well..... but still a defender 90 pick is much better.....

charlie

Kia Sorento with a diesel motor.... Cheap to drive and comfortable...

Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post

My wife has a Freelander 2 and it is a cracking vehicle, before i got my Defender I used it on the shoot a few times and was impressed by the traction on road tyres and it drives superbly on the road, IMHO much better all round than the X-Trail. Best mpg we ever get is about 34mpg and that is with my wife driving it like a, well, girl.

Martin