Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nosler ballistic tips v hornady vmax

Nosler ballistic tips v hornady vmax

I can get 6mm 75 gn vmax much cheaper than 70 gn BT's. is it really down to quality, the sexier box, or the importer of the noslers margins?

anybody ever compare the 2 like for like?

I found Noslers to group better so continued using them for foxes,
    And yet another 7mm-08 user...

Nosler, never found a bad bullet from them.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Use btips in 243 90 gr 160 180 gr partitions and accubonds in 7mm and 30 cal. Work very well for me.

Sorry no experience with vmax

Nosler's same hole or overlapping. Hornady's aim "ten bullets one hole" not quite there yet for me, still trying

Quote Originally Posted by TIKKA .223 View Post
    Nosler's same hole or overlapping. Hornady's aim "ten bullets one hole" not quite there yet for me, still trying
    I get good accuracy from the 75 and 87 gr vmax, I couldn't say the 95gr nosler are any better, and it's not the weight as my rifle shoots 105gr speers as good as the vmax.
    I believe the nosler are a 'harder' makeup than the vmax, more suited for deer as they 'expand' more than 'fragment'.
    The few deer I've shot/seen shot, with vmax have all been pretty smashed up, no exits, and lots of fragments inside, but I've never recovered a nosler, but the meat damage was less, with golf ball sized exit holes.

Given the choice, accuracy wise, nothing in it for me.
    Price wise, I'll stick with the vmax thanks.
    If I had both loaded, the vmax would've first choice for Charlie, and the nosler would be first choice for deer.

Thats my 2p worth

Pete
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

224 so not quite the same but noslers didn't group like the vmax and were trickier to find a load for

Both are really good bullets but I think noslers have the edge on accuracy

I use 60grn V max in .224 as my 1:8 wont shoot lighter noslers, v max is more accurate than me so no point in using anything else. I also use 87 grn v max in .243 to good effect.

However my partner in crime uses moly coated noslers in his 6mm BR and its clinically accurate. So in essence for general shooting V max but in situations when absolute precision is needed Nosler, but they are almost twice the price. But really down to what your particular rifle likes.

D