Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: British Pattern 1853 Rifled Musket

British Pattern 1853 Rifled Musket

With my life long intrest in the firearms of the American Civil War . I recently decided I needed to acquire a decent 1853 Enfield and wanted to educate myself a bit in the process . So I picked up a book dedicated to the 1853 !

I have a modern Euroarms version of the Enfield 1853 3 band .577 shots great. I have a friend that has an original one and he regulary uses it. I shoot mine with 60 grains of medium black powder.

I belive we sold the enfield 1853 pattern to both sides in large numbers durning the American civil war.

SD Regular
    This is for us Brits the rifle of the Crimean War that won fame in the "thin red line" that stopped the Russian cavalry at Balaclava. With the famous exhortation "There is no retreat from here, men. You must die where you stand."

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    This is for us Brits the rifle of the Crimean War that won fame in the "thin red line" that stopped the Russian cavalry at Balaclava. With the famous exhortation "There is no retreat from here, men. You must die where you stand."

Quote Originally Posted by multiman View Post
    I belive we sold the enfield 1853 pattern to both sides in large numbers durning the American civil war.

That is correct , however the ones that are marked and proven to go to the south usually sell for two to four times as much as ones that were sent to the north . While I would prefer one used by the south a decent example that I can be quite sure was imported here for the American Civil War and not your Crimean War would be fine as it's a bit more economical .

Also anything pretaining to the Confederacy now has a high likelyhood of being faked . And I do not have the money or experience with this musket to gamble on that .

I shoot a P53 dated 1855 on a fairly regular basis and they are great fun my can be accurate, with my eye sight permitting. I have tried the Parker Hale ones and they seem good as well, I have not tried any others so I can not comment.

I had a Parker Hale reproduction for many years
    faithfully and very well made. Great fun to shoot,
    Like many of my guns I let it go some years back
    still have the minie bullet mould

I had a Parker-Hale repro at one time. It was a well made and accurate rifle, another of my " shouldn't have sold it " rifles. While I understand the desire for an original, if I were going to shoot it on a regular basis or hunt with it ( I did ) I would hesitate to take an original hunting. They aren't making 3 band Enfields anymore and I'd worry about damaging it. Maybe take a look at an older P-H repro for field use. All of this post is irrelevant of course if you just want to own a beautiful and historically significant rifle, I know I do lol

And just to prove I'm a complete hypocrite, I had a nearly mint Snider conversion that I took White-Tail hunting on a few occasions, so I'm not one to give advice lol. I'd love to see some pictures when you do find one

Good hunting AB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	musket.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	460.0 KB 
ID:	37167

Thats me with my 1853 repoduction at the range

Quote Originally Posted by alberta boy View Post
    I had a Parker-Hale repro at one time. It was a well made and accurate rifle, another of my " shouldn't have sold it " rifles. While I understand the desire for an original, if I were going to shoot it on a regular basis or hunt with it ( I did ) I would hesitate to take an original hunting. They aren't making 3 band Enfields anymore and I'd worry about damaging it. Maybe take a look at an older P-H repro for field use. All of this post is irrelevant of course if you just want to own a beautiful and historically significant rifle, I know I do lol

And just to prove I'm a complete hypocrite, I had a nearly mint Snider conversion that I took White-Tail hunting on a few occasions, so I'm not one to give advice lol. I'd love to see some pictures when you do find one

Good hunting AB
    I have over 2 dozen original muskets from the Civil War period and earlier . At the moment my "squirrel rifle" is an original signed circa 1835-1845 Pennsylvania halfstock A.B. Smith 36 cal . I've shot that rifle quite a bit . I see no reason not to fire any of the others I have as long as they're in decent shape and don't go to hot in the load department . Matter of fact I have all intentions to eventually kill a deer with one of out 1841 Mississippi 54 cal rifles , one of our 1861 Contract 58 cal muskets and one of our 1842 smoothbore 69 cal muskets . And if I ever get a decent 1853 Enfield I can reliably say was brought here during the Civil War period and looks safe to fire I may darn well try it also .

But my intrest in acquiring one of these guns is not to shoot it but to rather add to our Civil War collection . Same can be said for the Austrian Lorenz musket .

You know my father had a Civil War relic friend who has now passed . But that man had a heck of a collection of everything pretaining to the American Civil War North and South . He had over 40 rifled muskets made by variouse contractors as well as Springfield that looked almost NEW . He told me that he started collecting around 1950 and the stuff was easy to get . He also told me back then deer were scarce here but he hunted with a like new 1861 Springfield . He also said he ordered a replacement barrel and over 20 years time killed 7 or 8 deer . Back then the legal limit was ONE PER YEAR PER PERSON .Well atleast in Virginia .