Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 243 or 30.06???

243 or 30.06 decision!

Hello, I have a bit of a dilemma, either a 243 new Sako 75 (yes I have found a new 75 lurking which I can have at the same price as an x bolt) or a 30.06 x bolt. My first rifle purchase to cover all bases, not foxes. I do a bit of everything in equal measure, home load with my father and am not interested in a cabinet full of guns (plus funds don't allow for two!!). People's thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Ben
    Last edited by ben burgess; 24-01-2014 at 07:21.

Get both! I know how you feel, I have both of these calibres. For years i just had a .243 for everything, i found it perfect with the exception of stalking reds in the rut (as a guest on scottish estates, some head stalkers believe .243 is a little light - can of worms opened, sorry!). I then added a tikka 30-06 to my cabinet. I feel lucky to have both and personally think i have got it just right.

Could i suggest finding a calibre between these 2 if you only want 1 rifle (.270 or 25-06 or 308?). There is quite a difference between the 243 and30-06.

So quickly looking each way in turn, the 243 is great but a little light in some instances, 100g rounds are a brilliant all rounder and cheap, even for quality factory ammo. The 30-06 is guaranteed to do the job on everything but it is a bruiser of a round, i shoot 125g factory ammo through a light rifle and if you shoot 9 rounds zeroing/practice boy do you know about it. It is also pretty anti-social if you don't have a moderator.

I think i would make the decision based on how much red deer stalking you do? Re sako vs x-bolt. I suppose sako is slightly better quality but i doubt in practice one would make more kills than the other - on either calibre i would make as much saving as possible and spend the extra cash on the highest quality german glass i could afford which will last a lifetime. Enjoy your shopping, i hope this advice helps. Lets us know what you do.

Well done on finding the Sako 75.
    I have .243 as above in stainless, love the rifle.
    I have a 30/06 X Bolt in stainless (coincidence or what!) like the rifle.
    When i go to the cabinet what gun do i take out....the .243
    But for an all round gun it has to be a 30-06, huge range of bullet heads, the only reason i bought the 30-06 was to shoot boar.
    But it did come in handy when i went to the states 18 months ago.
    Both rifles are very reliable and accurate in my experience.
    Cheers
    Richard

I can only repeat what the guys have said allready good advice
    I have a switch barrel with 243 and 30.06 the 243 never gets used now
    fell in love with the 30 .06 really. Great caliber
    regards pete

Thanks guys for the advice, this is the problem, rock and a hard place! I am lucky to have access to free (tho my father may grumble) home load bullets and at 6ft 3" built like a tank the punch side of the 30.06 isn't too much of an issue!! My heart wants a 30.06 then boar and reds become a non issue and I don't have to steal a rifle, but my head is airing towards the 243 as the price is right. An xbolt will invariably be 800 most days of the week, the 243 sako will not be available for 600 I have an illuminated reticle Hungarian sb so am happy there and like the feel and quality of the aim-sonic mods.

Once again thank you for the advice and it's refreshing not to open a calibre war!! In hindsight an in between would of been sensible but after the wrangling I had to get my FC with a 243 and 30.06 a variation is a no no at this point!

I will ill post my decision and ideas over the coming week.

30-06.
    If you hand load you can make into what you need. I have shot everything from .310" lead round balls to 220 grain RN from 30-06. Bunnies to buffalo. What's not to like?~Muir

Whilst I prefer the 30-06 cartridge over the .243, if I had found a brand new sako 75 for the same money as an X Bolt I would pull his arm off. It would have only taken milliseconds for me to make that decision .
    Enjoy your Rifle whatever you decide.

Yorkie.

For just deer I'd go to the .30-06 without a second thought. That is until you mentioned what the rifles would be.... Nope, the .30-06 would still be my choice!

Just out of interest though, why not something in the middle? The .243 is pretty much the smallest deer calibre and the .30-06 not far from the biggest. If I were you I'd buy a 6.5 swede!

For me the calibres fade to secondary given the rifle choices. There is frankly zero comparison between the two. The Sako is a different league.

From what you have said it is likely a 30-06 will have the stronger call in the end. In the interim enjoy that 243 in a fine rifle and trade it on IF you wish for likely a handsome profit toward a Sako 30-06.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Hi Ben, No brainer for me. Take the sako 75. They are a cracking rifle and just enjoy it. Then wait for another bargain in 30.06.
    Quote Originally Posted by ben burgess View Post
    Hello, I have a bit of a dilemma, either a 243 new Sako 75 (yes I have found a new 75 lurking which I can have at the same price as an x bolt) or a 30.06 x bolt. My first rifle purchase to cover all bases, not foxes. I do a bit of everything in equal measure, home load with my father and am not interested in a cabinet full of guns (plus funds don't allow for two!!). People's thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Ben