22LR choices

Lloyd90

Right so being a student atm (gone back to do a course) and having tight funds I am looking to pickup a 22LR on a budget, also as my CZ 452 17 HMR is rarely used, I would be looking to swap/sell it to fund the gun. For the record I have been offered in the region of £250-£300 from the RFD's.

There are two RFD's near me and I have available to me to get either

BRNO Model 2E - 22LR , its a full length 22" barrel I believe, had the iron sights still attached (Which I quite like) and has a scope. It is screw cut for a mod that would go infront of the front hooded sight. Up for sale at £200, so buying this would obviously allow me to have money my way (He said he'd stick a mod on it and I'd get about £65 back) Its very light to handle, I would consider having the barrel cut down, BUT I do like having the iron sights there! Think it has a Hawke scope on it. I'm not fussed on the scope and may look to replace it with a fixed power 4x32 Nikon Prostaff.

The other option is a SAKO Finfire, its also a long barrel, but has had iron sights removed (Still has the marks on barrel where these went) Its heavier to handle, although has a better trigger. it is up for £350 , and has a Nikon Sterling Gold Crown 4-12x50 scope on it.

Opinions please ? Good and bad points about either rifle ?

Many thanks
smile.gif

I have a Finnfire, pillar and resin bedded. This, together with the match chamber as standard makes for an accurate rifle. Manufacturing quality is of the best, as is the oiled walnut stock and fine trigger. If you want something slightly better you need to look at Anchutz. A word of warning though - the match chamber will not take the likes of CCI Stinger HV ammunition as the case is longer than usual and will damage your rifling.

I bought a brno #2 just as you describe, full length barrel, still got foresight, screwcut, with P-H mod, Hawke 3-9x50 scope, for about the same price.
Wouldn't swap it for any other .22 now. Love it. Nice to look at, nice to handle, nice to shoot. Consistently accurate with CCI ammo.

I bought a brno #2 just as you describe, full length barrel, still got foresight, screwcut, with P-H mod, Hawke 3-9x50 scope, for about the same price.
Wouldn't swap it for any other .22 now. Love it. Nice to look at, nice to handle, nice to shoot. Consistently accurate with CCI ammo.

I really like the rifle tbh pal, and like it without a mod. Obviously it gets quite long when you add on one but would probally add a PH to it. That added to the fact I would prob have money my way is tipping me to go for it, just thinking with it being so old , I'm hoping it still shoot alright

BRNO for the field. Finnfire for the range. Love the Finnfires but would not want to lug one round a field all evening...

Finnfire all the way for me, but a couple of million BRNO owners can't all be wrong.

Avoid a 10/22 unless you particularly want an innacurate unreliable mass produced peice of poo.....;)

Brno 2-E for me, if it has not got a trigger kit fitted it is worth doing so for around £15 then enjoy shooting a quality rifle, dont worry about how old it is as they were built to last.

Sako all the way.. Cycles better, smooth bolt, lovely trigger and if you find it's a bit heavy get it cut down in the future.. A guy at my club has one at 14" and it still is devastatingly accurate at 100yrds.

dont get me wrong czs are great tools.. But the Sako is just nicer..

I've fired a Finfire, and it was a cracking rifle to fire.

That being said, my choice for .22lr plinking and rabbits HAS to be a Ruger 10/22, presuming you have a S/A option.

Finnfire without a doubt. Had mine from new, barrel chopped to 16 inches and recrowned. Accurate enough for bunnies out to 75m.

Regards

Ed

Finnfire all the way for me, but a couple of million BRNO owners can't all be wrong.

Avoid a 10/22 unless you particularly want an innacurate unreliable mass produced peice of poo.....;)

I've stuck 500 rounds through my 10/22 without any cleaning, and it'll stick 5 rounds on the arse of a 12g shell at 100yds all day long.........

Only had a few rounds jam in that time, and its always been crap in the mag !

I've stuck 500 rounds through my 10/22 without any cleaning, and it'll stick 5 rounds on the arse of a 12g shell at 100yds all day long.........

Only had a few rounds jam in that time, and its always been crap in the mag !

Well, I guess the law of large numbers dictates that even Ruger get one right occasionally. :rofl:

regards

Ian

Funny you should say that, because mine seems to cycle ANY ammo with no issues too. Others have big issues with ammo choice.
Think i got a one off !!!

Only .22lr rifle i've shot it next to was a olympic arms ar15. It looked like a die cast spud gun compared to the 10/22.

CZ I have shot for years and never had a bad one, I have just sold my last CZ a 452 varmint in LR with a mod for 250 the same as what the gunshop offered me in PX against a new sako quad and NV, I have now completely gone over to sako for all my rifles, as I like the sako accuracy, build and quality

452 are pretty good rifles and as good as any, the best thing is you can pick a good one up if you look around, I would stick with .22 LR over the .17 any day, more quiet, accurate out to a near hundred yds, for a rimmie that's about spot on, the 17 has apparent distance if the wind isn't blowing, 40 grn CCI segmented in the LR is brilliant and quick, very low noise, no fuss just does the job.

i have had a 10/22 ruger as well, ( try to forget it) but that's all I can say about it. :D No problem with different rounds, crap accuracy unless on a 25 yd gallery range

Last edited:
Back