Calibre

yorky07

Post has been deleted.

The lack of answers to my Question Out of 47 views tell me heaps. So I can now make my opinions.:stir:

Probably comes back to a thread seen on another site in the UK about someone using a 300 win mag on Muntjac.

Last edited:
Put it back up please, I'm intrigued.

What's wrong with shooting a Muntjac with a .300 Win Mag? My aim, as an ethical hunter, is to achieve a quick and humane kill. The .300 WM is capable of doing that, so what's the issue?

hi yorky my rifles, 22lr anshutz 14 inch 17hmr cz varmint 16 inch 223 tikka t3 hunter 12g 686 berreta 12g 687 berreta two no 4 aya,s 12g and 12 g unknown , not much for a few bunnies/fox/pigeons,and hopfully 223 for fox/small deer. atb doug.:thumb::old::fox: just add before i get moaned at , i dont intend to use the 223 in england on roe,but it is legal in scotland, thanks doug.

Last edited:
Put it back up please, I'm intrigued.

What's wrong with shooting a Muntjac with a .300 Win Mag? My aim, as an ethical hunter, is to achieve a quick and humane kill. The .300 WM is capable of doing that, so what's the issue?

just wanted the type of info given by AN DU RU FOX.

I would think given the size of a Muntjac a 300 win mag would be a vast over kill. I have seen the damage some of the bigger rounds do to smaller species of deer, so I would think it would be significant on a Muntjac.
Bearing in mind that the energy of of this calibre @ 100 yards is somewhere between 2900 to 3100 ft/lbs depending on the bullet size.

Last edited:
hi yorky my rifles, 22lr anshutz 14 inch 17hmr cz varmint 16 inch 223 tikka t3 hunter 12g 686 berreta 12g 687 berreta two no 4 aya,s 12g and 12 g unknown , not much for a few bunnies/fox/pigeons,and hopfully 223 for fox/small deer. atb doug.:thumb::old::fox:

Cheers m8 thats what I want. a pal of mine uses a .223 on Sika Never lost a deer.

An old FC ranger once said to me "Ask a dead deer what it was shot with?"

To an extent I agree so any deer LEGAL calibre is OK with me. I think many calibres are just a means of maufacturers selling you another rifle (but for Gods sake don't tell my wife that! :oops:)

i have a 25 06 ,and a 30 06 , shot all british deer with both callibers , but since going on soft nosed as opposed to hornady SST's in the 30 , i have hit an odd one which has needed following up , hit in the right area but lack of expansion on the smaller deer is my theory ,so back to sst's for me ! hope this is an answer to your post , atb arron.

i have a 25 06 ,and a 30 06 , shot all british deer with both callibers , but since going on soft nosed as opposed to hornady SST's in the 30 , i have hit an odd one which has needed following up , hit in the right area but lack of expansion on the smaller deer is my theory ,so back to sst's for me ! hope this is an answer to your post , atb arron.
Cheers Arron.

Yes thats what I was asking. Would just like to see what people are using to knock over the various species of deer in the UK.
Also If you have a Large calibre weapon what do you use it for?

i use it on red stags , sika , been to germany and belgium on driven boar shoots , and also fortunate enough to have shot boar over here with it also , and hopefully off to hungary this year ! what about your rifles Yorky ,whats your favourite ?

Last edited:
30.06 and .308..... Wanted one rifle and one shotgun so got a mauser 98 30.06 and an old ST Etienne 12 ga S/S.... Was happy til I saw a browning BLR and now have another "one rifle" in .308. 180gr soft point for both. DRT and little meat loss..... enough gun for anything I'd ever want to hunt and if I ever have the need to shoot a fox I won't be eating it....

I use a 22/250 with 55grain vmax on foxes and odd roe.(im in scotland) 308 with 150grain sst on deer.

Regards kev

I do 80% of my stalking with either my .270w (130g)or .308 (180g) however, I have a 300wm for the open hill on reds & sika and a .375H&H which I use for boar reds & sika( although I have shot an odd fox with it) 220swift for foxing and 22lr & 22wmr for small stuff

I've shot muntjac with .375h&h and it died as per the instructions...... Only excessive meat damage was due to the round clipping a branch a foot in front of the deer which sent a shard of jacket into the guts, but the larger calibres tend not to expand as fully even on the largest of our deer, and do less meat damage than the .308 I normally use. Ok you could argue that if they aren't expanding properly then they aren't performing as intended, but try telling that to the dead deer, not had a runner yet......

+1
I've shot muntjac with .375h&h and it died as per the instructions...... Only excessive meat damage was due to the round clipping a branch a foot in front of the deer which sent a shard of jacket into the guts, but the larger calibres tend not to expand as fully even on the largest of our deer, and do less meat damage than the .308 I normally use. Ok you could argue that if they aren't expanding properly then they aren't performing as intended, but try telling that to the dead deer, not had a runner yet......

Back