Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fridge conversion for Roe

Fridge conversion for Roe

I have finally managed to get hold of a second hand larder fridge which is in good condition. My plan is to store Roe carcass in the fridge before butchering and would welcome advice on the alterations required to facilitate the storage.

ATB 243 Stalker.

Here’s one option, which also helps to maximise the hanging height in your chiller.

I had some spare UniStrut and decided to make a sliding rail each side to make it adjustable for hanging whatever.

To prevent having to blooter holes right through the outer skin, I simply drilled 5mm holes on the strut and inner skin of my chiller and used 4.8mm pop rivets to secure the unistrut along its length.

External Image - Click to view original size (1024x577px)

I used 3 lengths of 20mm solid stainless round bar which has two purposes, one for obviously hanging, but the other use prevents any really heavy load from drawing in the sides (eg when pelvis hanging a red for example).
    I wouldn't fret about the holding capability of the pop rivets, these will hold the queen mary!

I also use some split pins to stop the bars sliding fore or aft

I left just enough room to pass a hook or open gambrel through but as you can see, takes up very little space.

Hope that helps or at least gives some inspiration,

Cheers

Rb

deer chiller

Make an frame from wardrobe rails from b & q including a couple of elbow joints.

You can just make out the sides in the picture; they are sitting on a couple of metal plates to stop them digging in.
    Easy to do, you just have to be precise in your measurements and it just jams in, no drilling or screws needed.
    It's easy to take out too so you can put the shelves back in and get the drinks chilled .

Put a hook on the top rail and hang your deer like so.
    One of the benefits is that it makes maximum use of the height available.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails deer chiller.JPG  
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Rb & Pf,

Thanks for the replies.

As my late Grandfather would say:
    Adopting other peoples solutions prevents you having the problems they have encountered on the journey of discovery.

ATB 243 Stalker.

Quote Originally Posted by rigboot View Post
    Here’s one option, which also helps to maximise the hanging height in your chiller.

I had some spare UniStrut and decided to make a sliding rail each side to make it adjustable for hanging whatever.

To prevent having to blooter holes right through the outer skin, I simply drilled 5mm holes on the strut and inner skin of my chiller and used 4.8mm pop rivets to secure the unistrut along its length.

I used 3 lengths of 20mm solid stainless round bar which has two purposes, one for obviously hanging, but the other use prevents any really heavy load from drawing in the sides (eg when pelvis hanging a red for example).
    I wouldn't fret about the holding capability of the pop rivets, these will hold the queen mary!

I also use some split pins to stop the bars sliding fore or aft

I left just enough room to pass a hook or open gambrel through but as you can see, takes up very little space.

Hope that helps or at least gives some inspiration,

Cheers

Rb

what fridge is that looks commercial?

Quote Originally Posted by Steyer 6.5 View Post
    what fridge is that looks commercial?
    Its a Foster catering fridge Steyer but I'm sure a coke type fridge can possibly be adapted in the same way if the inner lining is of sufficient material.

Nice job, I will have to do my foster, where can I get the unistruts

Uni Strut

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Dhu View Post
    Nice job, I will have to do my foster, where can I get the unistruts
    I can supply ready cut and drilled unistrut to your specification. Can also supply stainless steel cross tubes as shown in pictures above.

If I can help please let me know

Cheers

Col
    Grampian Guns (RFD)
    Independant Moderator / Supressor Suppliers
    ..........for those who like a quiet life !
    Our mission.......Customer satisfaction......plain and simple.