Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Times Roe List 2013

Shooting Times Roe List 2013

I always look forward to the ST lists each year and this year was no exception with some lovely roe trophies from increasingly diverse locations.

There was however a mistake in the text as it stated that no Welsh head gained a medal whereas many know that a Gold was reported from Gwent last year. A quick check of the list revealed it was there at No.32 and for those who don't know Gwent was one of the Welsh counties lost in the 1994 reorganisation and is now mostly covered by Monmouthshire also a Welsh county so Wales had its first Gold roe.

The other thing that slightly confused me was the listing of a Gold medal head at just less than 130 points, when I thought 130 was the threshold, can anyone throw any light on this please?

Chriseoe should be able to ,nice to see a Northamptonshire head in the listing for a Gold medal .well done mr Wilson .
    norma

Mea culpa, mea culpa. As many a complex-pattern rug maker has maintained over the millennia, only Allah is perfect! Will review my knowledge of Welsh geography before next year.

The 129 point Gold is of course a technical slip on where the printer divided the list. 130.0 is, and remains, the Gold barrier.

TDW

Don't bother give it another year or so and they will have re-organised the counties yet once again.

Just a suggestion but wouldn't it be nicer to use the old shire county names. That way people would have a much clearer indication of what part of the U.K. we are actually talking about rather than area of immense size such as in the case of Powys which covers almost a third of Wales. The old traditional shire names are also much nicer.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I have to say that it was a poor show of ST not to include all the tables and to hide them away on a website. Clearly having a full page Nissan truck ad on what could have been the 4th page was of greater importance...

Having said that, it is good to hear that CIC is going to publish a new red book, but I still think they are missing a trick by not regularly publishing a coffee table type book on European deer, along the lines of the Rowland Ward book, etc. Even an anniversary compilation of all the ST roe reviews would sell enough copies to justify a well produced limited edition run, perhaps more... Or, how about something along the lines of the 'Deer: artist impressions' book but written around each species and the medal lists?

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    Chriseoe should be able to ,nice to see a Northamptonshire head in the listing for a Gold medal .well done mr Wilson .
    norma
    I'd missed that: congratulations Mr Wilson!
    Last edited by Pine Marten; 25-01-2014 at 19:33.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Don't bother give it another year or so and they will have re-organised the counties yet once again.

Just a suggestion but wouldn't it be nicer to use the old shire county names. That way people would have a much clearer indication of what part of the U.K. we are actually talking about rather than area of immense size such as in the case of Powys which covers almost a third of Wales. The old traditional shire names are also much nicer.
    I queried the very same thing with CIC when this head first received publicity in the ST last year where it was heralded as the 1st Welsh gold. Apparently the successful stalker made quite a thing of saying it should be described as being shot in Gwent so as to disguise the actual location. This seemed a bit weird to me because, if it was not shot in Monmouthshire, saying it was shot in Gwent merely potentially concentrates interest on those small parts of the former county of Gwent not currently in Monmouthshire. If it was shot in Monmouthshire the difference between this and Gwent is insignificant.

I got the message from CIC that they would rather have vague geographical descriptions and have good heads reported than insist on too precise a location that might deter the reporting of good heads, especially from newly colonised areas. I sympathise with this and on balance agree.

To to use your example of Powys, a few years ago there was a silver medal red from Powys but you'd be none the wiser about even a slightly more precise location as there are two populations of reds in Powys separated by more than 50 miles at their closest proximity.
    Last edited by paul k; 25-01-2014 at 20:18.

Congratulations to all on here who made the list. Regards sbm

Missed shooting times was it this weeks issue ?? Might still be able to get a copy at local newsagent

It was yes 22nd I think.