Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tipping

Tipping

I've just returned from a few days hind stalking with a mate in Scotland. On the contract from the Estate it said that "it is requested that the Licensee tips the Stalker a minimum of 50 per day/per person shooting" We thought this was a bit rich, dictating how much (and even that we should) tip.

I always assumed that tipping (for stalking or otherwise) was discretionary and at a level deemed appropriate by the person doing the tipping.

Anyway, we tipped the guy a total of 260 between us for three days. Bearing in mind this is tax-free and amounts to approx 300 if it were taxable, which I didn't think was a bad punt.

I've just had an email from him wondering why we only tipped him this amount?

I know that there was an amount stated in the contract and that these guys don't earn a fortune anyway, but am I on my own thinking that it's a bit strong to expect to be tipped and also to expect a certain amount?

Before anyone says I'm a tight **** I've nothing in principle against tipping, I always tip our keeper on our pheasant shoot, waiters in restaurants, etc and indeed other stalkers when I've been out with them. It's the principle of being told how much to tip that boils my piss.

Or maybe I've got it wrong? I'm sure you'll tell me!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by philgled View Post
    I know that there was an amount stated in the contract and that these guys don't earn a fortune anyway, but am I on my own thinking that it's a bit strong to expect to be tipped and also to expect a certain amount?
    No, you're not.

Tips should be discretionary and based on your enjoyment of the day. With their approach all they've really done is upped their fee by 50 and avoided paying the tax. Why is it only the British who seem to accept this as perfectly 'normal' behaviour.

Personally I'd be looking for stalking somewhere else next year.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Why not ask the estate to put his wages up?

Over the years I have seen everything from knives to rifles as well of course as money given as tips, but its always been discretionary.

If its in the contract, then you knew how much you had to pay per day for stalking, obviously this is a tax avoidance system and the estate should be reported to the inland revenue, the amount the stalker earns irrelevant.

Bit of an excuse for the employer to under pay the employee. I won't accept tips for doing a job I'm being paid to do on principle.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

For me it would depend how much the stalking cost in the first place !

Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    For me it would depend how much the stalking cost in the first place !
    We paid 165.00 per day - not each I must add, so not particularly expensive for a day's sport.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by philgled View Post
    I've just had an email from him wondering why we only tipped him this amount.
    Cheeky bugger!

Email him back and tell him this is what HMRC suggested you do when you called them, explained the problem, and asked them for their advice

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Minimum of 50 per person for hind stalking tips --- their having a laugh and taking the pi**. You say it is a request on the contract so I would read that as not compulsory, therefore IMO you haven't broken any agreement. Needless to say you require a different estate next year.