Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pigging unreliable gunshops

Pigging unreliable gunshops

Bl**dy hacked off!

I put my rifle in to be screwcut a few weeks back on the understanding that it would only be 2-3 weeks, now I'm told it won't be ready before the new year, so despite having a couple of weeks off I won't be going after the does at all.

I fully understand that the Proof House can be busy, but if I had been told it MIGHT not be ready till the new year I would have waited till then to give him the rifle and at least I could have gone out over my precious holidays.
    NOT happy

Has it been screw cut? If so, tell him to give it back to you now. There is no requirement for reproof until you go to sell.

You can get it proofed at your leisure in the spring.

Correctomundo! 8)

Put 2 of mine in last Thursday and they have been ready to pick up for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler
    Has it been screw cut? If so, tell him to give it back to you now. There is no requirement for reproof until you go to sell.

You can get it proofed at your leisure in the spring.
    The matter of whether you need to get it proofed before you sell is moot. See Jackson Rifles' Web site for counsel's opinion on this point.

Not all gunsmiths send for proofing after screw cutting. Those that do are driven by the terms of their indemnity insurance. Those that don't are with a different insurer. Proofing will add between 50 and 100 to the job.

"Proofing will add between 50 and 100 to the job."

And the biggest part of that wedge is for carriage/delivery

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC
    "Proofing will add between 50 and 100 to the job."

And the biggest part of that wedge is for carriage/delivery
    That was one of the reasons I went for it when I did, the 'smith told me he had a couple of rifles waiting and that mine would make it enough to be worth him taking them to the Proof House in perso to get them done there and then. Seems he was either mistaken or simply lied, either way I am now left without my rifle and 2 weeks of holiday, during which time I will probably be tripping over does!

Screw cut or not, I would demand it back today, no excuses accepted.

Steve Kershaw does screw cutting to an impecable standard on 48 hrs turn around.

I would not tolerate this ********.

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler
    Screw cut or not, I would demand it back today, no excuses accepted.

Steve Kershaw does screw cutting to an impecable standard on 48 hrs turn around.

I would not tolerate this ********.
    Ref my bold; Any where near Bristol?

BwchDanas, have you looked at www.teagueprecisionchokesltd.co.uk
    Nigel Teague threaded a rifle for a friend of mine several years ago and the work was of his usual high standard and at the time the price was reasonable. He is based in Wotton-Under-Edge, Gloucestershire so not too far for you.