Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot get COAL

Cannot get COAL

Hi I'm loading 223 and the coal is quoted at 2.200 but my seating die (lee) will not seat that deep. The deepest I can get is 2.235 and this still looks very deep.

what am I doing wrong?

What bullet are you loading?
    2.200" seems very short even for a 40 grain bullet.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

52gr amax. I was given a load with benchmark with this coal. Checked on a few websites and 2.200 is quoted as coal but as I said cannot achieve it with my dies so was worried may be doing something wrong. Was thinking of reseating to 20thou of lands and seeing how they shoot.

Have you tried them at the longer length?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by FreshFace View Post
    Point worth considering, comparators can/will vary.
    Measuring with comparators doesn't give you COAL, it gives you the length to the ogive.
    If you are using a comparator to measure then this is where you are going wrong.

P.S. COAL is a guide and may not give you the best results. Provided your not already into the lands then I'd try what you have.

Normally load 55gr vmax at 20 thou off which is 2.240 and this works, at this length the base of the bullet is seated on or a bouts the base of the neck. The new load is from a chap who has the same rifle as mine and finds its is really accurate. The only problem is that my dies won't load below 2.230. I have checked the cartridge length at 1.750 which is what is quoted in the books. Hodgdon load data for 53gr quotes 2.200. Just wondering what I'm doing wrong or if the die is faulty?
    Will tap out and reload to 2.240 and try it.

Quote Originally Posted by FreshFace View Post
    Point worth considering, comparators can/will vary.
    dont think the given length of 2.200 was measured with comparator as it seems to fit with other quoted load data.

In the Hornady 9th ed it states 2.230 as the recommended COAL for your bullet choice.

Quote Originally Posted by blunderbust View Post
    In the Hornady 9th ed it states 2.230 as the recommended COAL for your bullet choice.
    Thanks for that that is achievable!

Have you tried to measure the COAL using the Nosler technique with a fired case from your rifle and the bullet in question as a guide? Load to between 10 and twenty thou less than this measurement usually gives godd results. After all, loading our own custom ammo, matched to the chamber, is the basis for the claimed superiority of home loads.