My day stalking... a photo-write-up

Gez

Ok so time is short so I haven't got time to write all this up, but I've just got back from a great days stalking in Dumfries.

I did a bit of a Wadas in that I travelled for miles, didn't shoot anything but had a bloody great day anyway!

I took a gamble on the weather, and at dawn it looked like it was going to pay off with barely a cloud in the sky, but that soon changed and the sun that did break through didn't hang around long enough to tempt the roe out.

Anyway, they say a picture tells a thousand words, so get ready for my longest write-up yet!

It was cold when I got up...
CIMG0122.jpg

Sunrise was looking promising
CIMG0123.jpg

Kitted up ready to go
CIMG0128.jpg

Still looking like its going to be a good day
CIMG0129.jpg

CIMG0133.jpg

There was a hard frost that probably announced my arrival to anything within 3 miles!
CIMG0137.jpg

Then the clouds rolled in :(
CIMG0140.jpg

It started to snow
CIMG0142.jpg

And the low cloud followed...
CIMG0143.jpg

CIMG0145.jpg

So I had a break
CIMG0146.jpg

... as the sun came back out!
CIMG0149.jpg

But not for long... the snow soon came back...
CIMG0150.jpg

...so I set off home
CIMG0153.jpg

Then... it REALLY snowed!
CIMG0156.jpg

This covering took 5-10 minutes!
CIMG0158.jpg

... whilst the 2 hour drive home took 4 1/2 hours...

Still, I had a great day and watching the sun come up like that made it all worthwhile.

Merry Christmas everyone and I hope you all have a great year ahead of you too!

Gez

When you are back up there during the summer, the sun beating down, hot sweaty and getting eaten by midges you will remember this day with great fondness!

Gez, great write up. I was up around Newton Stewart a few weeks back and I had a couple of blank stalks, didn't see a thing but the enjoyment was still as big.

Mustard on a scotch egg :rolleyes:

Nice one Gez, it looked a nice bit of ground to be on. A good mixture of plantation and open ground. There is a lot to be taken from a day out in these conditions, they can be very enjoyable.

Bad luck Gez, looks like you might have got a bit of my luck lately, nevermind mate, it`ll all come good eventually. ;)

ATB

wadas

jingzy said:
Mustard on a scotch egg :rolleyes:

Not just any old mustard mate... english mustard! And seriously, its a great combo - eggs and mustard are great together, as is anything with sausage...

Gez

Always nice to have a ride up to Scotland this time of year, sorry you blanked it does happen to the best of us , even the great white hunter Wadas has the odd drought. ;)
As it happens we were up there last week, very very cold, think we got it around -6 also, we parked up for the night pretty much in the same area you were from the pics.
It was best described as walking on cornflakes so was very dificult weather to stalk in Gez.
Although we saw a lot of deer but due to optics malfunction, I also personally blanked had to sit watching a Doe eat Chrimbo trees about 150 away through my nice reliable Japanese binos, bloody Zeiss German rubbish :evil: but our party got a few so we had something to take home :D
It was a great weekend went out for a bit to eat and a quick drink which turned into a little longer than we thought :rolleyes:

I'm going to buy a nice reliable jap scope next time :lol:

Great write up Gez..

Have a Great Xmas fella

Look forward to catching up again next year mate :D

Another fan for the English Mustard ;)

Terry

Well I did have an old rimfireback in the truck Steve but generally don't use it at over 100 yards unless we are desperate :lol:
Jamie Oliver did a nice English mustard coated gammon steak the other night :p so Fran nipped out and bought some Colemans Mustard powder, didn't know they still made it :eek:

Great write up. Love the photos.
I thought it was just my bad luck. Went for two days last weekend over the border and didn't see anything on four legs. Thought they had all migrated.
Good luck next time.
Paul

legaleagle69 said:
Although we saw a lot of deer but due to optics malfunction, I also personally blanked had to sit watching a Doe eat Chrimbo trees about 150 away through my nice reliable Japanese binos, bloody Zeiss German rubbish :evil:
I'm going to buy a nice reliable jap scope next time :lol:

Bob

You should of got your mate to give me a ring, I have a couple of spare scopes in the cabinet, you could have had your pick, German or Japanese it would of kept you stalking that weekend.

Gez

That was warm, it was -9.5 here in D&G last night, I was on the hill that afternoon having a recce’y at new block, the forecast was for snow at 15:00pm and it was spot on, I was off the hill for 14:55pm and just got off on time.

ATB

Tahr

Back