fluted or threaded barrel

swampy1

Well after a fairly long wait I am now ready to buy my first rifle. Would really appreciate some info on the pros and cons of the fluted or threaded barrels. Is it as simple as the threaded barrel will take a moderator and the fluted will not? Also rifle choice would have loved a sako 85 but reality dictates it will either be a Browning x bolt stalker or the tikka T3. Again your thoughts will be appreciated .

A fluted barrel can still be threaded and used with a moddy.. As for make its your money and 1 mans medicine will be anothers poision. Me I wouldnt give another Tikka house room
But I will be very much in the minority. Nowt wrong with howa, winchester, remingtons and the like.

Nutty

I have a fluted barrel and use a moderator. Nothing wrong with it.
Trouble comes when you want to take it off and fit one of those thread protectors on. Why bother? just be careful

I have the Browning Xbolt stainless stalker which is fluted & threaded ready for a mod straight out of the box.
As for which rifle, there is a mass of info on this forum but at the end of the day go with what you like as you will be the one shooting it.
ATB 243 Stalker.

Why do you want a fluted barrel? Apart from the way it looks and a minimal saving in weight, it doesn't aid barrel cooling but does give a minor POI change on follow-up shots. If the rifle is the same price with and without fluting and its something you like the look of, then go for it. If its more expensive to have fluted, then I wouldn't bother.
Fluted can be threaded, and most are straight out of the box. The cost of threading should be taken into consideration if the rifle of choice doesn't come threaded.

T3 great rifle, value and accurate. Got a fluted Sig to. It aids cooling giving more surface to air contact, measure around a round barrel then same diameter fluted. The trough's and peaks of the fluting give a longer distance around the same diameter. Mine has a mod and a protector for when removed. Lots to choose from, take your time and enjoy!

Mine has a BB fluted stainless steel and its threaded, I thought it was to aid cooloing and weight reduction.

D

Mine has a BB fluted stainless steel and its threaded, I thought it was to aid cooloing and weight reduction.

D

Sadly not, it's merely asthetics, the amount of weight lost through fluting wouldn't even be equal to a scope. How many rounds do you ever put through a rifle when stalking, 2-3 if not 1?
By the time you've put more rounds through your barrel fluted or not the Mirage created wouldn't allow you see clearly or even print an acceptable group due to heat.

Sadly not, it's merely asthetics, the amount of weight lost through fluting wouldn't even be equal to a scope. How many rounds do you ever put through a rifle when stalking, 2-3 if not 1?
By the time you've put more rounds through your barrel fluted or not the Mirage created wouldn't allow you see clearly or even print an acceptable group due to heat.

Spot on Jager. Accuracy International did an indepth piece about this in Sniper magazine, it made very interesting reading.

Back