Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Modified/Accurised RCBS Scales

Modified/Accurised RCBS Scales

I've seen the video that "1066" did of his modified RCBS, accursed, extended pointer, mount for webcam etc and I fancy a pair.

I was wondering if these modified scales are available to buy, or does someone do the mods as a service.

Scott Parker does the modifications but he's in the US.
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy

Are you thinking of something like this Tim:

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    Are you thinking of something like this Tim
    Yeah that's what I was after.

What is the point, if you'll excuse the pun? Admitting my guilt, I have modified my own RCBS scales in a similar manner, but am prepared to acknowledge that, for stalking, or even Target Rifle, weighing to better than plus or minus one tenth of a grain gives no better accuracy. Over 100 metres, the best shooters are the bench rest boys. They don't even bother to weigh, they throw their charges! A Great Britain target shooter of my aquaintaince has set up his scales so as to accept any charge plus or minus one tenth of a grain, and accepts anything between theses limits. Believe me, he shoots a damn sight better than me, or you, for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by 65morris06 View Post
    Believe me, he shoots a damn sight better than me, or you, for that matter.
    That's a rather sweeping statement, you haven't got a clue what I shoot like.

I agree, a tenth of a grain here or there really doesn't make much difference at the shorter ranges, and yes, the short range benchresters do often just dump charges but I think you will not find many 600 or 1000 yard benchrest shooters or those shooting F-Class just dump charges. In fact there's now a steady drift away from the Chargemaster type auto-dispensers when searching for superior accuracy.

If the sole purpose of the rifle/ammunition is to put meat on the table, then a 75 year old Lee Enfield with battle sights and government surplus ammunition will do the job. If on the other hand, you have spent, say,3,000 on a reasonable rifle and scope, why not feed it good ammunition.

When prepping a case and loading a round we try and make them all the same - consistency = accuracy.

However, generally sloppy rounds with a few thou here or there with the length of the case, different headstamps, variable neck tension, variable seating depth etc. etc. individually don't make a lot of difference at shorter ranges, probably all going into a 2 inch group at 100 yards, but at longer ranges they will show up.

Why spend time perfectly prepping a case then just dump some powder and say it's good enough for stalking and short range when it's so easy to get a consistent amount.

What is the point
    Errr because I can. I like the accuracy I get from hand loading ammo, it's an extension to my shooting hobby. Also I like to take pride in what I do. I guess it's the professional engineer in me, the "that's close enough" attitude is fine for some people but not me.

I've used a powder thrower and wasn't impressed with the accuracy, way to many variables of how you use it.

"you will not find many 600 or 1000 yard benchrest shooters or those shooting F-Class just dump charges"
    "However, generally sloppy rounds with a few thou here or there with the length of the case, different headstamps, variable neck tension, variable seating depth etc. etc. individually don't make a lot of difference at shorter ranges, probably all going into a 2 inch group at 100 yards, but at longer ranges they will show up." I agree with all of the above quoted sentiments. I stalk and take a pride in carefully reloading my sporting rifle rounds to shoot better than 1 MOA. As for your shooting, I know that I am a useless target rifle shooter, but I enjoy it. One of the benefits is that you get to shoot alongside the best shooters there are. It is very egalitarian in that way. That's why I suspect that you don't shoot as well as they do; I've seen them, and whereas I haven't seen you shoot, I have my suspicions.

That's why I suspect that you don't shoot as well as they do; I've seen them, and whereas I haven't seen you shoot, I have my suspicions.
    Is it something I've said to give you those suspicions? I can't claim to be "top shot" and I'm really not very good with a shotgun, but I did shoot my first 900/1000yds competition at Bisley in 1963 and have continued to shoot and compete in smallbore/fullbore rifle and pistol, gallery rifle and muzzle loading pistol since then.

What is the point, if you'll excuse the pun? Admitting my guilt, I have modified my own RCBS scales in a similar manner, but am prepared to acknowledge that, for stalking, or even Target Rifle, weighing to better than plus or minus one tenth of a grain gives no better accuracy. Over 100 metres, the best shooters are the bench rest boys. They don't even bother to weigh, they throw their charges! A Great Britain target shooter of my aquaintaince has set up his scales so as to accept any charge plus or minus one tenth of a grain, and accepts anything between theses limits. Believe me, he shoots a damn sight better than me, or you, for that matter.

some of do buddy some of us do
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class