Thread: Selling game/farmed meat

Selling game/farmed meat

If I'm selling meat to a final consumer i.e restaurants etc what do I need? Game or farmed venison from the farm and pig too? I'm a man of many questions but if you don't ask you don't get I've got dsc1 etc. atb joe

the FSA are really good for queries. I emailed them at 11pm one night a while back with some similar questions and had a phone call at 10am the next morning from a lad in the FSA who said it was easier to chat rather than to email. They were really helpful.

This is pretty useful;

http://multimedia.food.gov.uk/multim...guidejun09.pdf

For me when looking at it, it all seemed pretty straight forward. the snag came when you have to then apply for planning permission for change of use of your shed, then have to get different house insurance because it is a business (has to be registered as a food business for what i was wanting to do) then having to do tax returns etc and also pay MORE council tax as you have a business at your address and also pay for liability insurance etc. The FSA bit definitely seemed like the easy bit in comparison!!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfisherman View Post
    For me when looking at it, it all seemed pretty straight forward. the snag came when you have to then apply for planning permission for change of use of your shed, then have to get different house insurance because it is a business (has to be registered as a food business for what i was wanting to do) then having to do tax returns etc and also pay MORE council tax as you have a business at your address and also pay for liability insurance etc. The FSA bit definitely seemed like the easy bit in comparison!!
    Did your council stitch you up over this, or is your setup a fairly large scale food business?
    My local council saw it differently, but i was only small scale.
    Planning permission wasn't required, but a certificate of lawful development was, much easier to obtain and met their criteria.
    Chiller in shed outside, skinning area in garage, cutting area is kitchen.
    Didn't have to pay any more council tax.
    Register as a food business was easy.
    Business insurance and tax, no way out of them.

As you say, FSA info is helpful and a phone call to the EHO will give all the advice one requires.

Cheers

Richard

I havent contacted the local council (yet) as i haven't built the chiller. So hopefully they may be accomodating like your local authorities. If you dont mind me asking, when you say business tax, do you mean declaring income from this line of business or do you mean business rates through the council?

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfisherman View Post
    If you dont mind me asking, when you say business tax, do you mean declaring income from this line of business or do you mean business rates through the council?
    Sorry for the confusion, i am registered as a business with HMRC through my deer stalking activities, but my local council stated i would not have to pay business rates for my council tax.
    But just like firearms licensing i bet different local councils come up with different decisions.
    Cheers
    Richard

surely business rates only come in when operating from a property registered as a business premises?

Speak to the Cooncil
    register as a food business as a matter of course (its a stamped letter nothing else)

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    surely business rates only come in when operating from a property registered as a business premises?

Speak to the Cooncil
    register as a food business as a matter of course (its a stamped letter nothing else)
    It was mentioned by them, but when they considered the area within my property as a whole and as a percentage used and frequency they stated it wouldn't attract business rates.
    Cheers
    Richard