stalking trousers

Fursty Ferret

Any recomendations on decent stalking trousers.
Had my heart set on some harkila pro hunter trousers (might still end up going for them) but are there any cheaper alternatives that come close to them?

Been using some of the new deerhunter ram 2G and very pleased. Seen some extreme use and 100% waterproof. Not too hot either and dry quickly. 5 star.

I've used the following:

Harkila Kodiak - tough as old boots (probably the leather facings) and completely waterproof, even to the point of keeping me dry when crawling down a Scottish burn to get a shot on a stag a couple of years ago.

Laksen Buffalo - smart enough to wear every day as cargo type trousers and remarkably waterproof. I wore them for a very wet day on the Hill with Colin (solway stalker) up in Dumfries & Galloway and not only did they keep me dry when out stalking but they dried out fast enough that I could wear them for the 5 hour drive back home.

Sportchief aquatex - waterproof and warm. Ideal for sitting in a high seat in the pouring rain, though heavy if spending the day on the Hill

Stealth Gear Extreme - not really waterproof but comfortable and tough, though they can be noisy.

For most summer stalking I wear regular cotton DPM or other camo trousers.

willie_gunn

Cheers guys, i will check them out. I currently use army surplass stuff but none are totally waterproof. Tried some cheapish stalking trousers but i might as well have bells on my ankles with the noise they make.

laksen stalker or mouflon get my vote. Always had ex army and put up with getting wet, or wore water proofs over and put up with some noise. Decided to try these so called waterproof breathable trousers and spend some money. They are waterproof and I haven't sweated in them yet, even after a yomp up some decent hills. Good deal had from Donaldson gunsmiths.

Cheers guys, i will check them out. I currently use army surplass stuff but none are totally waterproof. Tried some cheapish stalking trousers but i might as well have bells on my ankles with the noise they make.

where are you getting wet? If it's the knees down, think about gaiters... I just ordered a set for a few bucks.... I wear mostly army surplus also... Deer are just as dead and they don't care if I was wearing a skirt....

I've got some deerhunter trousers, can't remember which model.
Very warm & comfy, but not as waterproof as they should be. Rain gets through outer layer, hits waterproof membrane, and runs down to collect at restricted points like round the top of gaiters, at ankles etc. Eventually it gets through these spots. The coat is the same, so when I don the whole suit and go out in the rain I'm dry except for wrists, waist, knees, ankles etc. Pity, 'cos it's a good outfit otherwise.
Oh, and they take about a week to dry out...

had pair of the keeper trousers years ago they were great but the barbed wire took its toll, got another pair and they were total crap

I've got some deerhunter trousers, can't remember which model.
Very warm & comfy, but not as waterproof as they should be. Rain gets through outer layer, hits waterproof membrane, and runs down to collect at restricted points like round the top of gaiters, at ankles etc. Eventually it gets through these spots. The coat is the same, so when I don the whole suit and go out in the rain I'm dry except for wrists, waist, knees, ankles etc. Pity, 'cos it's a good outfit otherwise.
Oh, and they take about a week to dry out...

Did the same, got the Deerhunter Montana jacket & trousers very nice comfortable & quiet but let water in around the shoulders, elbows, collar & knees or anywhere where something was over it such as rifle sling, roe sack straps or cartridge belt, tops of wellies or gaiters. Oh and rip very easy on bard wire.
Found it so poor I vouched never to buy Deerhunter products again
Wingy

Just posted other day about the total inadequacy of Seeland treggings which probably use the same material for all their other stuff. Avoid like the plague - unless of course you just want to filter out bits of heather and bracken and get your breeks soaked with clean water!

Were can I find Laksen trousers. They are the best I have had and i need a new pair.
Tusker

I use Kammo trousers, but have also some lighter Harkila Grizzly ones. The latter perhaps a bit flimsy for the hill, but seem to be surviving OK.

I really only answered the thread to share my reflection on the sad demise of the hyphen in common use.
This thread could have been correctly and unambiguously titled stalking-trousers: although I find the the concept of stealthy pursuit of garments of the lower limbs strangely pleasing!

I'm a big fan of Paramo gear and use it while loading/beating/shooting on the grouse moor and pheasants and find it very light, warm and waterproof but while it is quite durable I don't think it is particularly suited to crawling through bogs or stalking through hawthorns etc.
Willie

Back