Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st go at boiling a head

1st go at boiling a head

Just thought I'd share a pic of my 1st Munty buck I have had a go at boiling, etc. I still need to get some bleach to finish it off but I think it'll be something to remember.

I boiled it in the kitchen with a dishwasher tab in the water and with the extract fan on the smell wasn't bad. Although I chose the timing well coz the Mrs was out all afternoon with the kids so she never knew, lol!!

I also managed to get most of the brains, etc, out with a flat head screwdriver so I never got covered using the pressure washer in the garden!

Looks like he's been in the wars too coz the eye socket has either had a bash while fighting or it grew funny. He was aged by my tooth chart at 65 - 80 weeks,

Cheers

Stratts

Good side

Damaged side

Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    One of the secrets to getting a white skull is to have the bleach ready to go as soon as you have finished power washing. It works much better if the head is still wet and even better than that if it can be left out in the sun to dry as the bleach will become even more activated. Always go careful on the nose. If you blow the nose off a roe it will limit the cut available to you unless you glue it back on.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Well done fella, lots of cheap peroxide on the bay, wrap the skull in bog roll, wet it with the peroxide, wrap up in plastic bag with horn exposed and in a few hours job done !

You really need to keep it wet ,get hydrogen peroxide from the chemist put cotton wool all over it then pour on the peroxide,leave for 24 hours then rinse and let it dry..Think you may have dried it out too much to get a pure white finish. Wf1

also after finishing the sculls a clear laquer is superb it makes the skulls really nice and stops them turning powdery and easy to clean but when put on a display it really adds a depth to the skull, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Ah ok chaps thanks I'll learn!! Would I be best to now put it back in water? I'm not fussed bout it being pearly white as it will only be in my man cave anyway (the garage!!)

I'll mount it eventually I think but 1st it's on it's way to my kids school because Josh wants to do his show and tell with it!! Can't wait for parents evening this time round!!

Blog Entries
    Oh don't worry about show and tell stratts.
    Imagine my 9 yr old going into school in full realtree carrying a plastic gun and wished he could also take his Swiss army knife (NO on that one). Displeasing looks from the Mrs saying we're all obsessed with guns.
    He also has his own man-cave (a shed in the garden) with all manner of skulls and birds nests. I think the skulls did the rounds when he was 6 or 7. All the girls think I am a cruel Daddy for killing things and when he tries to talk to them about the need for managing deer they just think he cruel too. He now pesters me on a weekly basis to get him a .410 shotgun as he has already shot some feral pigeons so quite clearly is an expert shot at 9 yrs old
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Brilliant, sounds just like our house and my Mrs!!

65 to 80 weeks old or around 15 to 18 months? I would say thats exceptional antler growth for that age. Can you share the details of your tooth ageing formular please.

I agree that its not good to let the skull dry out during the process, never be afraid to bung it back in the freezer if ever you get part wat through and get held up for any reason.

Blog Entries
    Another good tip is that if you intend to clean the head, then make sure you flush the nasal cavity with water before you store it. The blood left in the nasal cavity from a H/L shot can stain the bones terribly and be very difficult to remove.
    Poke your hose into the oesophagus/trachea where you finished the neck incision and cut off the oesophagus/trachea (by the head) and allow to run until clear water comes out of the nostrils