Only Sports Bras Offer More Support

Klenchblaize

Take some 2mm leather, matching thread plus a few tools and you too may enjoy the freedom that is a non shoulder slipping in-the-field rifle:
Tab1_zps4d4dc557.jpg

Tab2_zps9669235c.jpg

The most challenging element is getting the correct fixing position & orientation*prior to stitching in place as such will only be realised with your chosen jacket on and rifle at shoulder as you intend to carry. Therefore you'll need help from someone with patience and the ability to temporarily secure in place prior to gluing. (*Note: Its important that when rifle sits at the point of the shoulder you want it to you ensure the stacked leather tab is square to sling edge in accordance with how it wants to orientate itself.)

Tab3_zps6d24079f.jpg

Sadly the stitching is an absolute pain even if you're familiar with saddle stitch and this install took me some 3hrs - the need to keep coat lining from shifting prior to each awl mark accounting for half of this!

You could of course attach c/o 4 or 6 point riveting but K doesn’t do simples.

K

Last edited:
Not quite sure of what I'm seeing.

Have you stitched the sling to the coat?

Any chance of a picture of the item in use?

"Not quite sure of what I'm seeing." It's a stop that prevents the sling sliiping off the shoulder. S'obvious, innit!

Good idea, but not so great on a waterproof coat :doh:

Neil. :)
Assuming the underside is of a receptive material you could cover the entire stitched area with a large rubber patch using the glue in a puncture repair kit. The glue you use to position leather tab will also go someway to seal awl penetration as each stitch is closed. In short more rain will get in through a collar than one of these.

K

Good idea (camo coats) came out with this a long time ago but it is a stud button like you get on 501 jeans this looks better as it should't turn over like there's and dig in when carrying a day sack:tiphat:

Assuming the underside is of a receptive material you could cover the entire stitched area with a large rubber patch using the glue in a puncture repair kit. The glue you use to position leather tab will also go someway to seal awl penetration as each stitch is closed. In short more rain will get in through a collar than one of these.

K

K

Your probably right, but with modern drop liners there is no need to sew right through, just to the outer material.

Neil. :)

That's a really good idea. I'm going to try it, thanks.

AB

And don't forget there are many ways to skin a coyote so by all means use whatever material and install method that floats your canoe.

If you do use the stacked leather approach; perhaps I should have supplied a mini tutorial, don't skimp on total height as it would be frustrating having gone to all the trouble of install only to find the sling still rode over the tab. I settled on 4 (four) pieces of c2mm leather stitched onto the base.

A sharp and well pointed awl is a must to get through this combined thickness.

Good luck

K

Last edited:
Just an idea but how about Velcro sewn on your shoulder and on the sling ????? mmmmmmmmmmm the more I think about that, the more I wish I hadn't had that last scotch :doh:

Just an idea but how about Velcro sewn on your shoulder and on the sling ????? mmmmmmmmmmm the more I think about that, the more I wish I hadn't had that last scotch :doh:

Don't be too hard on yourself as you simply went twice as far as you needed to!

One side of the velcro on the shoulder and the other under the leather tab is a good idea as you simply remove when not needed or if washing the garment. My Arktis Sniper Smock has a variation using rolled matching DPM rip-stop cloth and velcro. I had the production team put this on both shoulders rather than just one.

Have another scotch.

Cheers!

K

"but how about Velcrobut how about Velcro" Makes an awful lot of noise, and if we can hear it, be certain that the deer can.

Back