Sako .308 123gr vs Sako 25-06 117gr ?

grayedout

Hi All, I have had my .308 for 5,6 yrs and I am very happy with it but was thinking of trying a 25-06 as it maybe a flatter option for the longer shots .. but reading the Sako Spec they are almost the same is this correct ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-28 at 08.45.29.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-01-28 at 08.45.29.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Screen Shot 2014-01-28 at 08.45.12.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-01-28 at 08.45.12.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 10
2pworth

I had a T3 LIGHT in 20.06 with a Robertson stock which made to use better to handle and shoot than the T3 light stock a very nice rifle but i just did't like the long action and bolt wiggling lol, it was a very good all be it a loud report ever with a mod fitted , shooting it and if i done my bit would deliver all that i needed returning sub moa with the 117's , now i have got a sako 85 .308 still chaceing that golden bullet :rofl: , same thing as above apart from nr zero wiggle i can use it for any deer and boar in the UK and happy to use it oversea's . Both cals are not to every ones cup of tea and there are better out there so others will say but for me the humble 308 is ok ,but saying this i am thinking hard on a 6.5x47 to replace my Sako .308 and .243 then having only one rifle for all ,apart from boar this i would hire on the day .
:tiphat:

but reading the Sako Spec they are almost the same is this correct ?

At stalking ranges almost all deer legal cartridges are close enough to make no odds. Also no matter what the cartridge you still have to remember a set of numbers for your drop so, in practice, it doesn't matter what the actual numbers are.

Anyone who buys one cartridge over another because it is an inch flatter at 300 yards is kidding themselves or reading too many "gun writers" - the cross hairs on my scope cover 3 nearly 3 inches at 300 yards plus the average stalker in the field can shoot a group in and around 3 inches at 100 yards.

At stalking ranges almost all deer legal cartridges are close enough to make no odds. Also no matter what the cartridge you still have to remember a set of numbers for your drop so, in practice, it doesn't matter what the actual numbers are.

Anyone who buys one cartridge over another because it is an inch flatter at 300 yards is kidding themselves or reading too many "gun writers" - the cross hairs on my scope cover 3 nearly 3 inches at 300 yards plus the average stalker in the field can shoot a group in and around 3 inches at 100 yards.

did you draw your own reticule with a sharpie !

did you draw your own reticule with a sharpie !

Most stalking cross hairs will do this. Ultra fine varmint / target cross hair with lots of mag will subtend less, but a common or garden 6x or 8x with a German No 4 reticle will be 3" if not more at 300 yds.

That got me thinking - the book of words for my 4a reticle in my swaro 4-12x50 shows the thin part covering 2.4 inches at 100yds at 4x, dropping to 0.8 with 12, so even at full 12x it's covering 2.4inches at 300.

Last edited:
Back