.308 question

mason85_308

Hi there does anyone use a sako trg 22 rifle for a stalking ?
Or reasons why sorry if it sounds like a silly question !

Great rifle if you want to carry one, have had both a 22 and 42, excellent accuracy from both. Ok for highseat work I guess.

when I first started I used my trg21 , great rifle

use whatever you like , you have to carry it !

I thought that the trg 21 was quite light for a dedicated sniper system personally?

I have a TRG-S which is the sporting version of the much heavier TRG. I suspect it is the fore runner of the 75/85 series; it is an excellent piece of kit.

had a guy bring a trg stalking after several miles, he was not impressed , but a great rifle to shoot.

Lol cheers guys ill have a look and do somemore research I want might just stick to tikka as my 22.250cal is a tiikka t3 and is beautiful to use thanks guys for your inputs

I have a TRG-S which is the sporting version of the much heavier TRG. I suspect it is the fore runner of the 75/85 series; it is an excellent piece of kit.

I have a 85 varmint in .308 which is an excellent rifle and one that I bought with the dual intention of using it for stalking and range use. It is heavy and while I carried the rifle when hill stalking in Scotland without too much trouble previously following illness I am now considering changing it for something lighter. I am now of the opinion that a range rifle and a stalking rifle are two entirely separate beasts and you will suffer in one way or another by trying to use the same rifle for both uses.

I use mine a fair amount but it does depend on the shooting task at hand. It has a short barrel (18inches) which makes it quite handy in a high seat, it can have a folding stock which makes it easy and discree to transport. (You can take the fixed stock off quite quickly) I would be quite happy to use it or it's predecessor an AIAW for hill stalking again but you do have to be fit. The downside is that woodland stalking requires a quick mount onto sticks or rest so the Sauer or blaser is a better option. I did look at the Tikka tactical before I purchased the TRG but a cancelled Jordanian Contract one was just too tempting. The short barrel struggles after about 800 yards but it is very accurate at deer shooting ranges.

Have used my AIAE, but as others have said too heavy for rapid woodland stalking when a quick mount on sticks is needed. BUT its the master on Deer in area's where close stalking is impossible.

My 6.5x47 is a big fat girl, I would choose it over all others for fixed position hunting but it is too big and slow for woodland stalking where the 20in tikka 595 in 308 gets the nod. For the hill my Sendero strikes a good balance between portability and range

Hi there does anyone use a sako trg 22 rifle for a stalking ?
Or reasons why sorry if it sounds like a silly question !

If you are in very good health I cant see a problem, if you are not you will look a right twonk gasping for breath after walking 300yds up a slight incline :)

Lol i now i've been in my local gun smiths and it is a very nice piece of kit
Now in my luck ill revert back to the faithful tikka lol cheers guys

Last edited:
I'll soon be finding out as today pick up my new Sako 85 varmint stainless in.308. Will be used for both range and stalking, but most stalking will be done from doe box or high seat :)

Andy

I'll soon be finding out as today pick up my new Sako 85 varmint stainless in.308. Will be used for both range and stalking, but most stalking will be done from doe box or high seat :)

Andy
Nice gun. Is that a 20" or a 22 3/4"?

Back