Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brains!

Brains!

Had an interesting request today from someone asking for a chef if they could buy all the brains, tongues, hearts and livers of all the deer I shoot!

Question is, what has he got planned and is it worth the hassle trying to get the brain out?

Found some recipes online, don't think I'll give it a go myself but in case you're up for it!
    Deer Brain with Brown Butter Recipe

some people use the brains for tanning i believe? no not sun tan!

If the brain doesn't need to be removed intact then cut the head in half with a bone saw and scoop out as two hemispheres.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by PointBlank View Post
    Had an interesting request today from someone asking for a chef if they could buy all the brains, tongues, hearts and livers of all the deer I shoot!

Question is, what has he got planned and is it worth the hassle trying to get the brain out?
    Never tried deer brains or tongue... but I like Ox-tongue.. a lot. As for deer heart... that is possibly the very best bit...

Quote Originally Posted by PointBlank View Post

I reckon he is making a brawn with the brain and tongue. It's normally made from pigs head and trotters (Brawn: Recipes: Good Food Channel). Not sure it would work without the fat though and I think the trotters create the jelly. Why not give it to him, then let us know?

Brains aren't bad, dusted in flour and shallow fried they are kind of like mushroom pate... Sort of. I just cut the skull with a bone saw and scoop out the two halves, not sure how you would get them out intact sufficed to say you'd have to be very careful.

Quote Originally Posted by pob View Post
    Not sure it would work without the fat though and I think the trotters create the jelly. Why not give it to him, then let us know?
    The brain is almost entirely made of fat isolating the nerve cells, so it should be plenty lardy enough.

Account Suspended
    Saveloy.... Mmm!

When I was a lot younger my Dad used to regularly eat calves brains on toast.Never tried it mind you.
    One of the keepers fathers also used to come up to the slaughterhouse when we culled in the park and cut out all the deer tongues too for homemade pressed tongue