Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What've we got in the woods then?

What've we got in the woods then?

I know that I have deer in our patch of woodland, I've seen a couple in there before, I startled 3 roe in the adjoining woods last week and I've been recognising trails through our own 7 acres now that I'm learning to look for them. This morning, while walking the dog, there were some new slots, the rain this past week washes everything away so these must have been from last night. I think they're roe slots but would appreciate confirmation or an alternative as I'm new to hunting/stalking etc. The knife is 12cm long. I've set up our new trail cam so hopefully have some pics of the culprits in the next few days. Bought the trail cam to help with deciding where to put the high seats.

Roe or possibly Boar?Any signs of damage,like muzzling the ground?

looks like roe to me as there is the back two toes missing for boar, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Hi there mr magic fingers the bottom photo look more like roe prints to me,
    but now you got your trail cam up it wont be long till you find out for sure would species you do have
    Keep us informed it will be nice to know the out come. Mason

I don't think it's boar, but I do have areas where pieces of fallen wood have been chewed, such as these

and here you can see one of the tracks through the woods and one of the points on the bank where they're coming in

it had never occurred to me that there might be boar but now I'm googling for boar sign and wondering if perhaps I do have them, I've seen a few places where the ground has been scuffed up, I thought perhaps the dog was digging down but there's been enough that perhaps it might be boar. I'm finding google results about boar released in our area.

Given that I've go my FAC application in at the moment, it might lend strength to my request for a .308 Will have to see what the trail camera shows up.

Boar would leave more sign on ground like that I believe. Looks like Roe to me.

I didn't know if deer would chew up branches like that. I know they chew bark off trees and much of our woodland shows evidence of that. It's neglected woodland and next winter I'll be starting the 10 year long process of returning it to coppice rotation so controlling the deer is a big part of that otherwise the new shoots will get decimated by them.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_magicfingers View Post
    I didn't know if deer would chew up branches like that. I know they chew bark off trees and much of our woodland shows evidence of that. It's neglected woodland and next winter I'll be starting the 10 year long process of returning it to coppice rotation so controlling the deer is a big part of that otherwise the new shoots will get decimated by them.
    Good luck with that!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_magicfingers View Post
    if youre going to coppice anything you want to get going before it starts growing , pile the twiggy tops of the cut stuff on top of the stowl and this will help keep the deer off the young shoots