What've we got in the woods then?

mr_magicfingers

I know that I have deer in our patch of woodland, I've seen a couple in there before, I startled 3 roe in the adjoining woods last week and I've been recognising trails through our own 7 acres now that I'm learning to look for them. This morning, while walking the dog, there were some new slots, the rain this past week washes everything away so these must have been from last night. I think they're roe slots but would appreciate confirmation or an alternative as I'm new to hunting/stalking etc. The knife is 12cm long. I've set up our new trail cam so hopefully have some pics of the culprits in the next few days. Bought the trail cam to help with deciding where to put the high seats.

IMG_3429_zps90d387c4.jpg

IMG_3430_zps0e989b40.jpg

Hi there mr magic fingers the bottom photo look more like roe prints to me,
but now you got your trail cam up it wont be long till you find out for sure would species you do have
Keep us informed it will be nice to know the out come. Mason

I don't think it's boar, but I do have areas where pieces of fallen wood have been chewed, such as these

IMG_3339_zps7468688c.jpg

IMG_3338_zps9e6d7856.jpg

and here you can see one of the tracks through the woods and one of the points on the bank where they're coming in

IMG_3361_zpsc98526d6.jpg

IMG_3363_zps4e38ff1b.jpg

it had never occurred to me that there might be boar but now I'm googling for boar sign and wondering if perhaps I do have them, I've seen a few places where the ground has been scuffed up, I thought perhaps the dog was digging down but there's been enough that perhaps it might be boar. I'm finding google results about boar released in our area.

Given that I've go my FAC application in at the moment, it might lend strength to my request for a .308 :) Will have to see what the trail camera shows up.

I didn't know if deer would chew up branches like that. I know they chew bark off trees and much of our woodland shows evidence of that. It's neglected woodland and next winter I'll be starting the 10 year long process of returning it to coppice rotation so controlling the deer is a big part of that otherwise the new shoots will get decimated by them.

I didn't know if deer would chew up branches like that. I know they chew bark off trees and much of our woodland shows evidence of that. It's neglected woodland and next winter I'll be starting the 10 year long process of returning it to coppice rotation so controlling the deer is a big part of that otherwise the new shoots will get decimated by them.

Good luck with that!

if youre going to coppice anything you want to get going before it starts growing , pile the twiggy tops of the cut stuff on top of the stowl and this will help keep the deer off the young shoots

it had never occurred to me that there might be boar but now I'm googling for boar sign and wondering if perhaps I do have them, I've seen a few places where the ground has been scuffed up, I thought perhaps the dog was digging down but there's been enough that perhaps it might be boar. I'm finding google results about boar released in our area.

Given that I've go my FAC application in at the moment, it might lend strength to my request for a .308 :) Will have to see what the trail camera shows up.

Make sure that you specially ask for boar on the conditions, or at least "Any other legal quarry". The main boar escape was near Dulverton but they spread pretty widely so there's a chance of boar almost anywhere in Central Devon.

I look after an area of fresh coppice its worth putting up a pheasant feeder so that when the squirrels arrive you can hit them hard with fenn traps I caught 32 in two weeks in an area of chestnut coppice of about 15 acres my land lord is very happy, where abouts in devon are you, local to me ive got fallow and roe the nearest reds are fifthteen miles away pm me if you want any help/advice.

I look after an area of fresh coppice its worth putting up a pheasant feeder so that when the squirrels arrive you can hit them hard with fenn traps I caught 32 in two weeks in an area of chestnut coppice of about 15 acres my land lord is very happy, where abouts in devon are you, local to me ive got fallow and roe the nearest reds are fifthteen miles away pm me if you want any help/advice.

I've got an old pheasant feeder in the barn, I'll have to move that down to the woods. Won't hurt to keep some of the passing pheasant in the woods too, there's a shoot not far away and we do get the odd few wandering through our land. Sadly, in the past few weeks, they've disappeared now that I've just got my first shotgun. It's like they know :)

Oh and I'm over near Torrington, thanks.

Last edited:
Another good signs of tracks is by that stream where they will drink check by there for your tracks to confirm what species you do have there and good luck

If you are near Torrington chances are there are boar around, we have then near Crediton and i understand they have been seen near Burrator reservoir.
Cheers
Richard

If you are near Torrington chances are there are boar around, we have then near Crediton and i understand they have been seen near Burrator reservoir.
Cheers
Richard

Yes - boar around Hatherleigh. Not many and seem to be fairly itinerant, but they do pass through.

Depending on which side of Torrington you are, you may get some Reds, although my impression is that those in Mid Devon are taking quite a hammering.

Yes - boar around Hatherleigh. Not many and seem to be fairly itinerant, but they do pass through.

Depending on which side of Torrington you are, you may get some Reds, although my impression is that those in Mid Devon are taking quite a hammering.

We're over in Yarnscombe, east side of Torrington. One of my neighbours had a couple of reds on his lawn last year so we now they're around here. Will mention the boar and reds when I have my FAC interview. Put in for a .308 so hope they'll let me have that.

Back