Krico .22s Any Good?

Toxster

Looking for a budget .22 bolt action, accuracy is very important as it's a range rifle, so will need a heavy barrel. CZ452 seem good, but the trigger needs work. Krico look nice and seem to be cheap...any good? Budget is £200-£250.

Well as you know, I have a CZ452 and it's lovely, it's just that I böllöcksed up the scope mounting. On a separate but related matter, you really are a massive kit junkie!

I used to do a bit of servicing (strip down, clean & re-assembly) of Krico rifles amongst others & had the opportunity to look at a few different calibres stripped down.
All the Kriko centre-fires I checked, were well built with good action bedding. The .22RF was very poorly bedded and flexible under the action. Not as good as many others I've looked at.
It shot well enough but definitely needed a full bedding job done to make it perform to its optimum.
For precision range work you could do a lot worse than buy a second hand Anschutz or my personal preference Walther for .22RF . Look at the UIT style - often single shot but fantastic actions and barrels.

Ian

I suspect you're right. The cheap Krico .22s go for £50-150; then there is a jump to the target version which goes for £900 which strongly suggests avoidance of the cheap ones. Every now and again an Anschutz Match 54 Action in a sporter stock appears, whch would be a good compromise. Suspect I'll get a CZ452 to keep things simple though.

I'm on a tight budget atm so well worn range rifles will suit me fine.

There's an auction at Holt's in March, and the fixed bid section will have dozens of .22s in it at rock bottom prices. The catalogue's not up yet, but I'd stick it in my favourites and go to one of the previews in Hammersmith. There's a free glass of wine in it too!

The next preview that's opne until 8pm is on Tuesday 18th March: http://www.holtsauctioneers.co.uk/nextsale.html

I'll take a look at that.

NB - There is a sporterized Match 54 at your favourite gun shop.....shall I call and ask for a price on 7mm08..?

Thanks for offering, but I have a pile of free reloading ironmongery sitting on top of my sideboard, a Lee reloading book in the post, several boxes of HPS-loaded ammunition in the cabinet plus a few odds and ends, so I'm sorted for ammunition. That said, if you tell him that I sent you, I'm sure he'll give you great service and a good price.

More Conetrol and the correct screwdriver next time??

Had to be done!

K

Fair enough, although my Allen key is just fine. But I had underestimated sleep-deprivation. I think, with hindsight, that I had left the screws on the bases quite loose when boresighting, and then completely forgot to tighten them up more. YMPM sleeps more nowadays, so next time I'll do it properly.

Back