Mid price scopes

evans

Hi guys looking for some help in buying a new scope for my 308 il be getting in a month or so i have a budget of £400 any advice. Thanks

evans

This is easy - buy top quality German fixed magnification 2nd hand.

For me I think the Hungarian S&Bs offer the best value for money 2nd hand but anything from Swaro, Zeiss (best glass but all of them are good enough) or S&B will do your job and will hold their money. If you ever come to sell you will get back what you paid, maybe more. Total cost of ownership will be zero.

6X42, 7X50 or 8X56 will all do almost everything you'll ever need when it comes to stalking and it is really down to preference, I like the 8X56 as I shoot sika at last light in commercial forestry but that is more personal preference than need.

luepsach on here is selling s/b and rings i think about 500? 8x56 there were two other s/bs 8x56 but i think they have been sold tday.

Last edited:

For me I think the Hungarian S&Bs offer the best value for money 2nd hand but anything from Swaro, Zeiss (best glass but all of them are good enough) or S&B will do your job and will hold their money. If you ever come to sell you will get back what you paid, maybe more. Total cost of ownership will be zero.

6X42, 7X50 or 8X56 will all do almost everything you'll ever need when it comes to stalking and it is really down to preference, I like the 8X56 as I shoot sika at last light in commercial forestry but that is more personal preference than need.

+1 and dont forget meopta

Have a look on ebay.de for Zeiss in Sport
Watch out for rail mounts (schiene) - you want ohne schiene (without rail)
Absehen 1 is a post reticule and absehen 4 is cross hairs (heavy at the edges and fine in the centre)

This is the Best answer , its all about holding ZERO , and cheap £400 new , is not going to do the job

The scopes on two of my rifles are Docter 2.5-10x48. I managed to pick both of them up for under £400 each. They are excellent scopes and one of them was bought to replace the much hailed S&B 8x56, a scope that, if I'm honest, I never warmed to. The Docter has better low light definition to my eyes, even when set at the same mag as the Schmidt.
The scope on my other rifle is an EB Optimate 3-9x42. It's not really a bad scope for the price but once you try to use that in less than optimum light, you can certainly see where the extra money goes. I'm hoping to replace that with a Leupold at some point, when funds allow.

Hi guys looking for some help in buying a new scope for my 308 il be getting in a month or so i have a budget of £400 any advice. Thanks

evans

Have a look at this site and scroll down to the bottom section 'SELECTING AND BUYING RIFLESCOPES' - some very sensible advice there without the usual promotion for top Brands costing a fortune.

Out of curiosity, what are higher end Leopold scopes going for in the UK ? I'm thinking of the Vari X III's and fixed powers.

AB

If you are ok with 2nd had and want variable 3-12 then look at Meopta. Really good scope for the money. A whole bunch of us sold what we had put them on our deer rifles and now swear by them.
I have never had a fixed scope and wonder why people go on about them but then horses for courses, variable suits my terrain.

thanks for replies guys some good advice there will keep my eye out for a second hand s&b then

Try these people, a chap I know has just bought a 6X42 Zeiss from them for £300 and is very happy with it:

R. Macleod Rifle Dealer, Tain

Also it is worth considering brands other than S&B, I think their Hungarian line is the best value 2nd hand but don't overlook a good deal on Zeiss or Swaro. The glass in all of them is more than you need for UK stalking and I usually decide that it is unwise to shoot long before I'm unable to shoot using my 8X56 S&B.

Look at the Meopta Meopro range. I have 6-18 ones on a 270 and a 243. They hold a zero perfectly and for the price I can't fault them at all.

Try these people, a chap I know has just bought a 6X42 Zeiss from them for £300 and is very happy with it:

R. Macleod Rifle Dealer, Tain

Also it is worth considering brands other than S&B, I think their Hungarian line is the best value 2nd hand but don't overlook a good deal on Zeiss or Swaro. The glass in all of them is more than you need for UK stalking and I usually decide that it is unwise to shoot long before I'm unable to shoot using my 8X56 S&B.

+1 for Macleods, they have some great deals on their new scopes price list too at the moment.

Back