decapping pin falls out

bob257

I have a redding competion s type bushing n/s die.and the decapping pin keeps falling out
it seems to just slot in the decapping rod with nothing to hold it there The pin or rod are not bent just wondered if any one else come across this problem

bob

Contact Redding in the US direct & no doubt they'll replace the de-capping rod FOC pretty quickly. ATB

Hi bob, are you sure it hasnt snapped off up inside, I would of thought norman clark got die spares on the shelf, it would probaly be pence if just the pin, if its the whole piece maybe a tenner, I got a rcbs replacement from him, I had mine bend when resizing some once fired lapua cases I bought that had 3 berdan primed cases mixed in with them.atb swaro

Hi bob, are you sure it hasnt snapped off up inside, I would of thought norman clark got die spares on the shelf, it would probaly be pence if just the pin, if its the whole piece maybe a tenner, I got a rcbs replacement from him, I had mine bend when resizing some once fired lapua cases I bought that had 3 berdan primed cases mixed in with them.atb swaro
Don't think pin has snapped have got a spare pin neither of them will stay in.
will ring Norman Clarke and see if I can get a new rod and pin many thanks. Bob

as said before by others give them an email . but i remove mine anyway and use a universal de-capping die one size fits all lyman for just removing the old primers

as said before by others give them an email . but i remove mine anyway and use a universal de-capping die one size fits all lyman for just removing the old primers

+1 :thumb: Works well doing this even if it's an 'extra' operation.

Hi Bob

I have the exact same die as you and the exact problem, I ordered some new de-capping pins from Reloading solutions in Oxford thinking perhaps the pins had been machined too small and therefore the "chuck" was not gripping them right but no tried original one's and tried new one's get through 2-3 cases and the pin falls out. All I've done now is lock off the large nut so die screws into press the same depth take the rod out the middle loosen the expander ball, push a new pin in get a dry flannel or towel something to really grip it with and do it up tight as you can, not saying this had solved it I get about 25-30 cases aNd the pin falls out again but its a darn sight better than 2-3 and I can cope with that.
Give it a try really do it up tight see how many cases you can do compared to before.
Good luck
Steve

So its not just me !

I have a standard Redding FL sizing die with the same problem, no matter how hard I tighten the button the pin is barely held.

I glued mine in with blue loctite, so it could be removed if necessary with some heat.

I decap as a first operation (Lee decapping die) before tumbling. But I still want the pin fitted so that it will poke out any tumbling media caught in the flash hole, if I miss it during inspection.

the decapping pin keeps falling out it seems to just slot in the decapping rod with nothing to hold it there

I don't know about the competition dies, but on the standard ones the expander button is supposed to clamp the pin in place (mine doesn't though). Is there supposed to be a similar (undersized) expander on the bushing dies ? If so, perhaps yours is missing this piece.

So its not just me !

I have a standard Redding FL sizing die with the same problem, no matter how hard I tighten the button the pin is barely held.

I glued mine in with blue loctite, so it could be removed if necessary with some heat.

I decap as a first operation (Lee decapping die) before tumbling. But I still want the pin fitted so that it will poke out any tumbling media caught in the flash hole, if I miss it during inspection.

Have done the same thing glued it in with Loctite seems to work perfect,

Back