Syndicate Venison

JMS Training

A mate and I were discussing the pros and cons of putting a syndicate together for a bit of ground we've been offered. It seems there's a lot of potential issues in here but one of the first ones we got to was how to deal with the venison.

We've got larder facilities nearby so we could use that, putting the money towards next years rent but how do you deal with that if someone wants out?

We've also noticed an increasing number of syndicates where the price is low but the carcass is the property of the lease holder but you can buy it at dealer price. Being based in Scotland this would then mean the added expense and hassle of getting a venison dealers licence.

Is it worth the hassle? What would appeal most to folks?

Interested in your thoughts - sorry of this not the right place but a legal-ish question!

i would just set the number of guns you want in the syndicate, set a price per year ,per gun

and say the vension belongs to the gun this way its alot simpler, no hassle

i would just set the number of guns you want in the syndicate, set a price per year ,per gun

and say the vension belongs to the gun this way its alot simpler, no hassle

Exactly. I think this is the easiest and fairest way to do things. Especially between friends.

A mate and I were discussing the pros and cons of putting a syndicate together for a bit of ground we've been offered. It seems there's a lot of potential issues in here but one of the first ones we got to was how to deal with the venison.

We've got larder facilities nearby so we could use that, putting the money towards next years rent but how do you deal with that if someone wants out?......

Some syndicates set all venison income against next year's rent, if someone wants out, they get their share of the venison income. Other syndicates work on the principle that the shooter keeps the carcass. It's not a big deal as long as the rules are set out up front, folk stick to them and everybody gets sight of the lease invoice.

Regards JCS

Good post JCS But normally keeping the venison with the lease means there needs to be trust that the person keeping the chiller is not lining his pockets or that the stalkers are not take a few deer home with out letting the syndicate know.

PS JCS Nice to see the blot well back in that rifle :oops:

We've got larder facilities nearby so we could use that, putting the money towards next years rent but how do you deal with that if someone wants out?

We've also noticed an increasing number of syndicates where the price is low but the carcass is the property of the lease holder but you can buy it at dealer price. Being based in Scotland this would then mean the added expense and hassle of getting a venison dealers licence.

Is it worth the hassle? What would appeal most to folks?

Interested in your thoughts - sorry of this not the right place but a legal-ish question!

Each member should look after there own venison ,also you don't require a game dealers certificate the person your selling it to does .

The costs of running a chiller are not cheap ,so your members will not get 100% of the cash there's also the game dealer not paying top dollar for carcasses due to bad shot etc ,it can be fraught with problems .

Never thought of a syndicate running like that. Made me think of how I'd run one. For me I like to eat a fair bit of what I shoot. Or give some to friends and family. This would become expensive if I had to pay dealer rates for something I'd shot. Now I understand the cost of my syndicate fee's would be reduced due to carcass return's from all members but not sure if it would feel that way when I had to pay £50 for a carcass then give it to uncle Bob. I do however like the idea that on a ground run "not for profit" perhaps a fee per animal could be set aside to help with high seat re-newal, or some form of chiller etc. Guess it will depend on the guys in the syndicate. If you want it to be an inclusive type of thing ask the guns what they think. If you want to be in charge then you'll have to set the rules and see if the members stay or go. You'll soon know if you're getting it right.

Ok! Probably a bad start if we're all suspicious of each other, but guess its in our nature and there's no shortage of people out there waiting to take the p!$$. Guess everyone keeping their own keeps it simple.

Deer Scotland Act says:

36 Offences in connection with venison dealing.

(1)Subject to subsection (2) below, any person who—

(a)sells, offers or exposes for sale; or

(b)has in his possession, transports or causes to be transported for the purpose of sale at any premises,

any venison shall be guilty of an offence.
(2)A person is not guilty of an offence under subsection (1) above if—

(a)he is a licensed venison dealer; or

(b)he does the act constituting the offence for the purpose of selling to a licensed venison dealer; or

(c)he has purchased the venison from a licensed venison dealer.

(3)In subsection (2) above “licensed venison dealer” means the holder of a venison dealer’s licence granted by the council within whose area the sale, offer or exposure for sale takes place, or where the premises concerned are situated.

So I'm ok if I only offer to sell to someone with a licence but if I want to sell to someone without a licence e.g. A syndicate member then I would need one.

Dont we already do this but on a personal level?
I cant see how its fair on the syndicate members who perhaps put the time in and shoot a lot more deer than those that maybe only go once or twice a year and shoot one or two deer?
Effort is rewarded when those that do put the time in and are successful can weigh their deer in and save the money for their syndicate costs for the subsequent year if they choose to sell their deer. If they choose to leave they leave with what they would have contributed.

Back