Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 22 Hornet choice- Brno fox or Ruger 77

22 Hornet choice- Brno fox or Ruger 77

Evening gents,

in the market for a 22 Hornet, and have found 2.

First is a BRNO fox at a reasonable price, second is a Ruger 77 22 Stainless laminated. Different I know, but can't decide between them Fox has old school appeal but Ruger seems a bit more sensible.
    I am unable to get to the rifles to view so looking for any thoughts from users of both.

TY
    Tabs

Quote Originally Posted by Tabs View Post
    Evening gents,

in the market for a 22 Hornet, and have found 2.

First is a BRNO fox at a reasonable price, second is a Ruger 77 22 Stainless laminated. Different I know, but can't decide between them Fox has old school appeal but Ruger seems a bit more sensible.
    I am unable to get to the rifles to view so looking for any thoughts from users of both.

TY
    Tabs
    I have owned the Ruger 77/22 Hornet. Biggest piece of crap I've ever owned. I am avidly against anyone looking for a Hornet to even consider one. Now, I may have had a sour rifle, and I can understand that, but when I called the factory and said that the best groups I had a 50M with any ammo -handloaded or factory- was 3 inches, they insinuated i couldn't shoot. Additionally they said that if the rifle functioned and nobody got hurt when they pulled the trigger, Ruger had no further responsibility. It was the last new Ruger rifle I purchased.

I like the Brnos. I shot JAYB's when I was visiting. Nice rifle.

That said, the finest Hornet I have ever owned, and I have owned at least a dozen of them in custom or factory, is the CZ 527 American. I have shot at least 5 of them (Including mine and my son's) and they are ridiculously accurate. Hands down the best and worth waiting and saving for. I sold my Anschutz to get mine.~Muir

I had a Brno 22 hornet some years ago. It had if I remember correctly double set triggers. It shot well and even better after a bedding job. RWS ammo cloverleafed in it and Winchester Super X did well.
    A lot of 22 hornets got their bores wrecked by old corrosive Sellier&Belliot ammo.so worth checking. It was a nice light rifle,compared to the No1V I hoick around now.

You'd be silly to ignore Muir's suggestion if for no other reason than he's actually shot all rifles mentioned.

I know he sold his Anschutz but if you can find a nice 1432 without the double set triggers and are willing to handload, it will probably outperform a Brno Fox of similar vintage. That said and notwithstanding the word "probably", you just have to love the cute mini Mauser style Brno actions that make the basis for wonderful custom jobs.

Good choice of cartridge too and if you've not shot one I guarantee it will bring a smile to your face. Even a wide one if you getting shooting .5" groups at 100 yards!

Good luck

K

Two if my friend s both had the Rugers, they were both *****!

Theyngot rid of them and bought a cz.

Go the CZ mate and enjoy.

Steve

To be honest once out of the stock and in a barrelled action form you would struggle to see a difference between a CZ527 and a Fox Md2

the only bugbear I have about the BRNO Fox is the lack of aftermarket trigger groups to replace the double set
    I have got used to it but if you have several rifles with varying trigger designs it can be a faff! (i have everything from single stage, two stage, double set, single set!! would prefer them all to be decent single stage TBH!)

other than that the BRNO/CZ are a tried and tested format that is usually very accurate and very reliable

only shot one Ruger but didnt really like anything about it!

I recently looked at a .223 in CZ or Ruger (I like CRF rifles). I looked at the CZ and the Ruger. While the Ruger seemed fine, the CZ was better. And it is difficult to argue with how those Brno's are built so another vote for the Brno.

Scrummy

Another vote for the CZ527 here, mine is brilliant with hand-loads or factory ammo.
    One rifle I won't willingly part with, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by 247sniper View Post
    Two if my friend s both had the Rugers, they were both *****!

Theyngot rid of them and bought a cz.

Go the CZ mate and enjoy.

Steve
    But Dave told me his Ruger was very accurate, sub " at 150 yards I think he claimed
    (and I should withdraw my comments as he was trying to sell it. Lol)

Neil.

Get yourself the Brno. I have had two .22hornets and I sold my first one to get a brno so hofully that answers your question. My old brno can shoot better than I can!

Hi there Tabs a mate of mine had the ruger and he had problems with and blow up on him ??
    I've had the brno cz and they are amazing buddy no questions asked get a good scope for it and
    You will have loads of fun with it. Hope this helps